The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

We need a system like the IMM brush which can have Primitive meshes with default ones but you can also make your own.

8 Likes

I personally would like to see a tool in Sculpt Mode where you simply add a primitive like you do in Object Mode with all the settings for transforming it, then when you’ve accepted the shape you want the rest of the model gets masked so you can freely move your newly created primitive wherever you like. Finally you can do destructive boolean operations like merge, cut, trim, etc. once you are happy with your placement without needing different objects.

That would be my dream workflow for this kind of stuff. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you see the post I made earlier about the MultRes bug getting set to High priority? 2.82 sculpting is going to be dope with all these coming features and bug fixes! :smiley:

4 Likes

This! His patrons count fell from 137 last time I checked to 125 now. It starts from 2$, come on.

2 Likes

It’s about time the Blender Foundation signed up Pablo Dobarro for a LOOOOONG contract, something like ‘for life +10 years’ perhaps ?

It’s one thing to find someone with the required skills necessary to push Blender forward, but Dobarro seem absolutely passionate about improving Blender sculpting, and to top it off, he is that rare combination of someone who is both a developer and an artist.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1184433058063245318

22 Likes

What if Dobarro makes a “zmodeler” brush? :thinking:

Well, why not? There would be better poly modeling performance, less back and forth between modes etc… So… :wink:

Hmmm… :thinking: To be honest I’m personally not a fan of ZModeler. I prefer a dedicated UI for sculpting and for polygon modeling, as it is now in Blender. I particularly dislike ZModeler’s UI: one big dialog stuffed with function names. I’m always searching for the tool I need, and fiddling with different pen directions to change tool settings. Uh, I mean… I was always searching, wwaayy back when I still used ZBrush. :grin:

Having said this, I would very much welcome tools for the new Sculpt Facegroups, such as extruding and smoothing the borders.

5 Likes

Yeah. I like some of the tools that the ZModeler provides (the ability to make holes while extruding is super nice), but the UX workflow is pretty bad when compared to other dedicated modelling programs, honestly. I think you should be able to add some modelling tools to Sculpt Mode through polygroups as you said, but I don’t want to see ZModeler replicated in Blender.

1 Like

At the rate he is working in he might be done replicating all major ZBrush features in Blender by next year. XD

But sure, BF needs to keep this guy for as long as possible. :partying_face:

3 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about… It doesn’t need to be “fully charged” like zmodeler, just the core basic stuff, like extrude, inset, bevel, insert edge loops and maybe slide… Also, a way to delete polys would be nice too…

2 Likes

Really nice that he made it a Brush, it will make it fast to create facegroups.
I only hope for gesture manipulation for visibilty options grow,shrink,invert…etc to make it even better and of course working with symmetry,

1 Like

He is actually employed by the foundation now, earning his developer rate, which (not speaking for everybody) is at least twice what I make, so personally I’ll let his patreon be, and be happy. :slight_smile:

Anyone knows if Pablo is planning to work on the painting layers, I cant find any infos on this.

Right now I need to setup nodes so that painting layers stack on top of each others, not very intuitive, it works, but it is a bit of a pain in the kiesters to paint several layers of images and be able to see what it looks like in the viewport!

I dream of the day when we will be able to paint several layers at the time, like color+bump+roughness, etc, a bit like Substance painter, Substance painter which just went to a subscription model, BTW, many thanks to Abobe!

BTW, great work Pablo, you’re the man for sure!!!

2 Likes

Would be interested too about that info!

8 Likes

You know what would be cool regarding Face Maps/Groups? If you could use them while in the painting modes. Especially Texture Paint Mode. Being able to disable pieces of a mesh so you can paint without accidentaly overpainting elsewhere would be so sweet. :partying_face:

4 Likes

Updated changes to the Face Maps system by Pablo:

https://developer.blender.org/D6070

Face Map Paint tool
Face Maps are now an overlay with opacity control
EEVEE support
Vertex and Face map visibility should now be in sync
Move the random seed to the mesh
Face maps are now int and store their visibility

Edit: Forgot to add, Pablo made a patch regarding masks visibility in Eevee: https://developer.blender.org/D6080

5 Likes

Well good. I want him to be fat, happy and covered in golden sprinkles, so more programmers want to be like him.

3 Likes