The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Definitely. Vertex groups are different, they equal weight painting, often with falloff between the vertices. With Sculpt Face Groups (equal to Polygroups in ZBrush) you can assign a unique ID to absolute polygons, then manipulate them. The real power comes with tools to manipulate the face groups though, such as smoothing the border to get rid of the jagged polygon edges.

I quite like Pablo’s approach to paint face groups directly. In ZBrush you need to mask first, then convert the mask to a polygroup.

4 Likes

It also use a sort of ambient occlusion method to mark the crevices areas as uv seams, that way the final texture seams on organic models stay well hidden. Also the unfolding of uv islands are not stretched neither produce a cluster-f*ck of crappy tiny islands unlike Blender auto-unwrap.

1 Like

Yep, it’s brilliant. It was created by the developer of ZRemesher and Decimation Master. :ok_hand:

I tend not to use that many add-ons that are not part of Blender, as for UVs, Smart Unwrap usually do an excellent job if you are painting your textures by hand, which is basically my general workflow, even if you paint on the UVs themselves!

1 Like

Just installed the latest 2.82 alpha master. :heart: the new Clay and Clay Strips brush, the dashed stroke options, and I think the Multiplane Scrape brush is the star of the show. Thank you very much Pablo, also for not forgetting Dyntopo. Multiplane Scrape works great with Dyntopo. :ok_hand::+1::clap:

6 Likes

Clay brush went from something I used only once in awhile, to my main brush. Scrape works a lot nicer with fill as the inverse too.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that change, thanks for the reminder. Scrape now works much more like the ZBrush Trim Dynamic and hPolish brushes, so does the Multiplane Scrape.

Every single time I think a return to ZBrush for sculpting is still a valid option, Pablo comes along with his development bulldozer and buries me under so many exciting new sculpting tools again that I can not resist. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The main point is to stop the insane import&export circus and the ridiculous UI. People seem to underestimate the cost of working across multiple software and the problem related to them.

Currently i work solely in Blender for my whole game and i just start building scene for cinematic sequences.

I was getting stomach ulcer from that cross software circus and now i feel a lot better rarely crashing while working in Blender and seriously people underestimate a lot of tools in Blender.

I just keep 3d coat for my retopo need and painting + the demolition we can do in sculpt that no other software can do.

3 Likes

ZB is now a great tool for cheating, no need to sculpt anymore.

History recall is the culprit. :rofl:

2 Likes

Just download latest 2.82 alpha and i cannot see the new clay brush, the only new brush i see is the multi plane scrape!

1 Like

I guess it’s a replacement/upgrade to the old one.

1 Like

Will try it but hell i have a 600,000 face suzanne done with voxel remesh and it’s sluggish as hell and all the brush behave weirdly.

Edit: OK the multires modifier was the problem once i click apply it’s now silky smooth

Better not touch it until it’s fixed. :wink:

Exactly but once apply it’s no problem and you were right the clay brush is just an upgrade but i really love it since it’s now much more like real clay layer add on top of each other.

It will become one of my favorite i am convinced.

Does anyone know how to recreate navigation keys from ZBrush in Blender?
I really need this.

The old school ZB navigation seems impossible to make. I think only the right click navigation is possible to be replicated in blender, but that’s not easy. You’ll have to solve a lot of keymap conflicts to achieve that. Not sure if it’s worth it.

1 Like

Really liking the new clay brushes. While I had no massive issues with the old brushes since I used their roughness to get free details, it still feels nice having reliable brushes that build up in a more naturalistic fashion. :partying_face:

3 Likes

(With 2.81 using voxel remesh then QuadriFlow give me CTD. Anyone else?)

I wonder if Mesh Filter will add a sort of ‘Polish’ like the one from Zbrush, would be very helpful with smoothing away the bevel effect from your remeshed lowpoly)

Sliders

They are different. One is value of weight to paint when strength of brush is equal to 1.
The other one is a multiplier.
If weight is 1 and strength 0.5, you paint a weight of 0.5. If weight is 0.5 and strength 0.5, you paint a value of 0.25.
But if blend mode is Add, result is different than if blend mode is Subtract.
In Vertex Color Paint mode, you paint colors. In brush settings, there is a slot to precise a color.
In Weight Paint mode, you paint weights. In brush settings, there is a slot to precise a weight.
In both modes, you have a strength setting to vary intensity of brush, the way you want. It may be temporary. It may be according to a blend mode or pressure of stylus.

Weight is as different to Strength than Color in vertex paint mode.
It is as simple as that.
If you choose a medium grey as a color, you don’t expect result to become white while applying maximum pressure on stylus.
Same thing in Weight paint mode. If you set weight to 0.5, you don’t expect to obtain a weight equal to 1 while applying maximum pressure on stylus.