The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Sry, but I won’t pay him a hundred to add wine dependency. Wine is just too wonky to rely on it.
I’m fine with it. But people should be aware. I simply think it’s short sighted to not inform about it. I know a lot of Windows guys tend to think it’s negligible, but things are very different in free software world.
I’d really would have liked to see a bit more sensitivity about the fact. Especially since you now have that moderator tag.
That said I’m fine with the situation since I don’t have a real need for it. Just wanted to remind you guys you’re not the lone “Blenderheads”.

I’m not the developer of Quad Remesher. The FAQ I’ve written in my thread about QR includes an entry about QR not being available for Linux.

I know that.

So what do you mean by “sensitivity” from my side?

Don’t take it too personal, it’s nothing tragic. I’ll send you a PM later and explain myself. A bit in a hurry right now and we don’t have to clutter up the thread.
Everything’s cool.

2 Likes

If you are saying that the blender development team are not intelligent enough to make an efficient algorithm then you are wrong.

Have you seen lately which software is developing at the speed of light and that start to scare all the big corporate solution out there?

4 years ago i was still in that stupid bunch of people who said that blender would never go anywhere and how wrong was i back then when we see today Blender.

1 Like

Blender developers invent almost no algorithms. Nearly everything added to Blender in the past decade has come from white papers from academia and companies with R&D teams filled with the brightest minds in their fields. No offense to the Blender dev team, but they’re not exactly breaking new ground.

1 Like

Well i think that Pablo Dobarro is quite a phenomena on his own but also keep in mind that even autodesk recently mention that finding stellar brain like in the 80’s and 90’s was not anymore easy at all.

And this will not improve in the near future since these discipline are deserted in Universities around the world.

I sincerely think that we wont see anything revolutionary anymore or if it happen it is going to be very exceptional. But an old saying say that with hope everything is possible!

I’m curious about this point. Did you find statistics about it or some other related source that expand on that matter?

It’s not only people are getting dumped down by TV and social media.
It also has to do with the fact that the easy hanging fruit of Meny research filed are no longer as numerous as they used to be .

Theoretical physics according to the TV show “the big bang theory” is dead for example LOL.

The Cern collider have failed to find the answers that people expected and hoped for … And that things cost billions. So advances are becoming more expensive and less spectacular than they used to be.

I saw an article from a credible source on a website 2 years ago but i don’t bookmark all the site i visit but you don’t need to believe me just listen to what autodesk already say about the subject is more than enough.

Let’s keep in mind that we should not continue this discussion here or else we will derail the thread main discussion.

All the good software engineers are fleeing to the military or medical field for the higher salary and stability it has to offer over quick burst of development in the 3d tech field and getting fire at the end of the development cycle.

Here a few interesting articles here;

https://www.daxx.com/blog/development-trends/software-engineer-shortage-us-2019

4 Likes

Thank you, @polynut

I asked because I’m genuinely interested in this topic (sorry for steering the conversation for a moment).
Thanks for posting those links, I’ll check them out!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1200940363894153217

16 Likes

that’s how it’s done in general, while Autodesk does have a R&D team but also get a lot of help from other companies & Studios. just take a look at their vision series many studios donate code & tools like Pixar,ILM,Disney…etc to get a team that does only R&D would require a huge amount of resources and it’s a big risk to take, what Blender devs are doing works for their goals.
For example the Grease pencil has evolved so much and was mainly developed by volunteers AFAIK, none of the most common 3d Softwares out there have something similar besides very basic drawing tools that ships with them ,it may not be a big breakthrough but it’s something special & innovative.

8 Likes

Now there is a chance at-last that some big studio can dispatch some needed feature upgrade to Blender if they internally use it and wish to share with public.

For now, Ubisoft is the biggest studio involved in development fund. I don’t think one of the established animation studios will be heavily involved in Blender development in thge near future because they are already collaborating with Autodesk & Co.

I rather think some studios using Blender will grow and contantly support debelopment. Or maybe a VFX studio someday in order to get away from bankruptcy

Question, where is the best place to get the sculpt vertex paint?
or should I just use the old abandoned sculpt mode features branch builds on Grapficall?

In version 8.2 the vowel remesh is no longer part of the boolen modification, it’s temporary I think, but how do you subtract objects?

Interesting post by @JulianSeverin :

https://developer.blender.org/D6070/new/#148147

I can fully understand what Julian and the other developers mean. Pablo is a developer on steroids, and I can’t praise him enough for his productivity and creativity, but Blender is not ZBrush, it’s much more, and there’s a risk of confusing function conflicts / obfuscation if additions aren’t considered in a bigger picture.

4 Likes

To me, it seems logical to merge face groups and face maps.
We have vertex groups. We would like edge groups.
For coherence, it seems logical to keep only term “face groups” to support any kind of face thing.
Vertex Groups are used for selections and weights.
We want edge groups to easily deal with selections, seams, sharpness, bevel and freestyle properties.
Face Groups could be used for selections and maps, too.

But clearly, they have to avoid to multiply options. That would make no sense to have under mesh properties a panel for face selections, another one for face maps, another one for polygroups IDs for custom normals,etc…
One to rule all properties is sufficient.

7 Likes