The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

As a possible workaround you could maybe use the pose tool to separate the close fingers and then pose them again after voxel remesh.

@mariano_diaz
My error.
Server online now. Trying latest 2.82 build.
@polynut
Mh … technically it works. I could give it a try.

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1205580638339977218?s=19

17 Likes

Anyone knows up to date info about material painting if there is at all?

When I tried the patch first time it had the option “Preserve Vertex Color” for the remesher but not sure about the Quadriflow so maybe later!

if you’re talking about PBR workflow like Substance Painter then the last bit of info was from the conference, the team agreed to do it but probably a few versions from now.

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agreed. I’ve been wishing for a vertex paint option in the Shrinkwrap modifier for a long time. It would bring Shrinkwrap on par with the Project All tool in ZBrush.

1 Like

Pablo has replied to my vertex paint reprojection request.

It was indeed part of the initial Sculpt Mode Features build. I hope it will return in the Master builds soon.

3 Likes

Someone named Demeter Dzadik took it on himself to overhaul the UI for brush settings. His work has just been committed to master.

• All brush-related controls are now grouped together, so you can see which items are brush settings are which are not. Previously it was all jumbled together.
  • The brush picker is in a separate panel, so that you can switch brushes without worrying about the settings, or vice versa.
  • Custom Icon settings moved from the Display settings(now known as Cursor) to the Brushes panel.
  • UnifiedPaintSettings panels are removed and the contained options are now next to their relevant setting with a globe icon toggle. This is not displayed in the header.
  • 2D Falloff and Absolute Jitter toggles were changed into enums, to make it clearer what happens when they are on or off.
  • Adjust Strength for Spacing option was in the Options panel in some modes, but in the Stroke panel in others. It is now always under Stroke.
  • Display (now Cursor) panel was reorganized, settings renamed.
  • 2-option enums are annoying as a drop-down menu, so they are now drawn with expand=True.
  • Smooth Stroke and Stabilizer options in grease pencil and other paint modes are now both called “Stabilize Stroke”, for consistency and clarity.
  • De-duplicated some drawing code between various painting modes’ brush options. I tried to keep de-duplication reasonable and easy to follow.
  • A few more tweaks - see D5928 for the extensive list.

To note, William did a few changes of his own, but they are minor.

14 Likes

I heard Pablo say in one of his streams that he is a new rigger in the team, looks like he is also doing development too.

1 Like

I wish that Pablo adds a separate brush size pressure controller for managing the min and max size with the pen pressure. As of now it is so hard to control that. This is not about unified size/strength thing. I mean the actual brush size having a min and maximum size per brush multiplied by the pressue.

This is so useful in ZBrush and the painting apps.

4 Likes

William commits a couple of tweaks to the Brush Stroke panel.

• Make sure the spacing controls are together
  • Add separators around the dash controls
6 Likes

Most of changes are fine.
But IMO, that is a mistake to move 2D falloff into a different panel than Front Faces option.
If you enable Projected falloff (new name for 2D falloff), you may think that option is broken, if Front Faces option is ON.

It is easier to figure out that when options are just one above the other.

Another hand. That make sense to have in Falloff panel.
I don’t know if it would annoy somebody to move Front Faces option, there.
I don’t know if some people see an advantage to have both enabled.
Maybe enabling of Projected Falloff could automatically disable Front Faces option.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/\_pepeland_/status/1206541093770342400

50 Likes

This is amazing! The ability to have a different mesh per frame inside the same object makes this even better than Sculptron :nerd_face:

1 Like

Wait, doesn’t this mean that you could save various stages of your sculpt on different keys so you can create a similar workflow as the one provided by the Layers system in ZBrush? Not saying they work the same, but that you could theoretically have a more non-destructive workflow similar to ZBrush by saving during various stages of production to be able to go back and make changes to older versions if needed.

The prototype looks amazing.

4 Likes

Good lord, I have totally been wanting this exact feature! Usually my soul is way too rugged to get hyped over sth. like blender development, but damn, I need this like a crack addict! (goes back to replaying the video)
greetings, Kologe

5 Likes

If Pablo can make interpolation (ie. smooth morphing) work between these completely different shapes, then Sculptron will be outdone almost as soon as it gets released :hugs:

Keep going Pablo, it already would make Blender a dream for fans of claymation films. It already seems like we’re finally achieving the dream of Blender becoming an innovator rather than constantly playing catch-up.

5 Likes

For something like Sculptron inside of Blender we just need a way to streamline the workflow, but most of it is already possible using shapekeys. If to that you add a working multires that allows for animated shapekeys then we’ll have something even better.

The workflow shown in that demo looks better for a stopmotion workflow, but I personally wouldn’t want to have interpolation between key-frames, they’re different meshes anyway.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting it would be a trivial job, but one should note that various SIGGRAPH papers have been coming out with solutions to various problems that actually involve dynamic topological changes.

I do not know how such dynamic shape-morphing would work and I am not suggesting a solution will be easy, but Pablo has shown himself to be an extremely capable programmer as seen by recent features.

1 Like

Yeah that’s probably just mesh swapping under the hood. Still pretty cool but I wonder how it ties with… the rest of Blender. As usual.