The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

He mentions geodesic distance computation. I think it has to be my oldest request for Blender.

More than a day later and still no update of the 2.83 Alpha build. :frowning:

Not that much goes into master on weekends usually, so you’re not missing too much.

If it’s like most instances where the Windows buildbot stops, the core team will return to work on Monday and get it back up and running.

1 Like

This is just nonsense talk.

Painter is in a class of its own. There is no other software that comes close to what it does in its field. You just need more experience with it, or a project that utilises its full potential.

4 Likes

The Buildbot shows multiple failures for the daily Windows builds again. I’ve posted this at Devtalk.

new Multires progress
:slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

witchcraft!

Would be great if the Multires Reshape could work with meshes that are slightly edited, in a way that the Multires modifier guesses the edited topology parts or somehow gets the edited areas height.

Idk if that’s possible if multires is reading the Vert order.

3 Likes

I sure hope they add automatic Apply Base and make it the default behaviour. Really don’t understand why MultiRes has to break pretty standard behaviour expected from a subdiv system in other programs.

5 Likes

I really hope so too.

3 Likes

I think that was due to the original modifier being made to support sculpting on top of rigged meshes, in which case deforming the base automatically would mess the deformations of the rig. I think that’s still something the devs want to maintain, but I think it would be better if the new multires modifier is built just for highpoly and detailed sculpting, and a simpler version of it is used for animation… Like a shapekeys modifier on steroids or something.

5 Likes

It doesn’t even have the “Delete Lower” function… There’s nothing standard about the Multires…

They should’ve done it from the start, and it seems like they are repeating the same mistake by not splitting it now… The multi-level system for sculpting doesn’t even need to be a modifier…

That’s the price of a “sandboxed” development… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

i like the blender approach better than the “standard” (zbrush) behavior especially for vector displacement maps! zbrush offers almost the same functionality (switch morph target) it is just reversed also a lot of times you are not allowed to change the mesh topology in any way… my experience :slight_smile:

edit: of course apply base should be rock solid and fast :wink:

what does mudbox with level 0?

They say it’s getting to be rock solid, but I’m sure the users will find some way to break it as soon as this is committed to a branch and a build is made available (as they test every nook, cranny, and corner case possible in a sculpt). I would be surprised if the initial patch just does not break even in small ways :wink:

4 Likes

The Blender approach to MultiRes in the past has never been good. Vector displacement is irrelevant to the discussion.

If Blender wants to convince ZBrush sculptors to switch over, then having MultiRes with near identical behaviour to SubDivs in ZBrush is essential. Some features will be added for sure (I.e. Face Sets and Sculpt Vertex Paint.), but we also need stuff like Delete Lower and Automatic Apply Base.

5 Likes

i’d like to know some of the advantages of zbrush’s way compared to blender’s :slight_smile:

with a lot of workflows it’s not :wink:

irrelevant

agreed

see the first question :wink:

edit: do you actually use vector displacement?

I really need the Lasso Hide Tool for working with Face Sets.
Or I did not find this tool and it is already in the Blender? :thinking:

1 Like

To me, it turned out to be somewhat of a gimmick in ZBrush, while theoretically I thought it would be a game changer.

Already told you. Plus, ZBrush’s system actually works. MultiRes is fundamentally broken, which is why it’s getting a complete rework.

Has nothing to do with the state of MultiRes, so again, absolutely irrelevant.

Absolutely relevant. Polygroups and vertex painting support for ZBrush SubDivs are important for workflow, especially Polygroups.

2 Likes

you don’t have to tell me that i’m a zbrush fanboy for almost 1.5 decades now :wink:

no it is just buggy but the way it works is not worse then zbrush’s approach (it’s better in my opinion)

this has nothing to do with how the multires system works