The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I dont think problem is in color picker,
Screenshot_17
here is color what I paint. it is to much different. It seams it uses liner space in one place and not liner in other. But let see what developers say. They confirmed this bug.

4 Likes

I’ve been testing the sculpt vertex colors, a couple of warnings with what you have to do to get it working would be nice for new users and I’ve find this small bug if you create a mask on top of the vertex colors

ezgif-5-035d61a4d4cb

2 Likes

thank you and one more thing,how to view silhouette of my sculpt in viewport.

I’m also mentioned earlier post same. It’s making mask unusual for now in visible perspective.

1 Like

I also encountered the mask bug. It’s a display-only bug. The mask still works, but it’s very hard to work with the trashy mask display.

Did you submit a bug report?

not yet, feel free to use that gif if you want to, the glitch dissapears if you clear the mask but appears everytime there’s one.
Edit: draw face sets does the same glitch in that build by default without add vertex colors.

Someone already reported those glitch artifacts https://developer.blender.org/T78192

1 Like

It’s already fixed by our savior Pablo :raised_hands:

3 Likes

And as we speak, Pablo fixed it: https://developer.blender.org/rB0f7851ee79bdcd39b475633b5f65c31aa5370a23

3 Likes

What?? That was fast! Woa :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

No, just no.

Blender sculpting without any multi rez

I don’t work in a game studio, so like other sort of freelances we do like we want.

3D Coat took years before getting some multi rez thing, I did lot of models using it, did that ever stop us from making amazing models ?
Just No.

One among thousand video making a character without using any multi rez

I would gain anythnig personaly using mutli rez, no faster work, no better results.
I block, than secondary details, and third smaller details and that’s it.
Most 3D artist use Substance painter materials for nano details, more control, better results and faster workflow.

Multi rez is not mandatory, it depends on what you really need.

BTW i prefer Blender to get better brushes, advanced brushes (insert mesh) and other functionnality i find lot more important than multi rez and perhaps i could use it some more than 3D Coat.

3 Likes

You’re very dismissive of people who have different priorities and needs than your own, which can be off-putting. You should try to keep this in mind when responding to people.

15 Likes

This is a fine workflow for still rendering, illustration, concept art or even 3d printing, but for production it is still pretty much mandatory that you use a multires workflow.

I’m a freelancer too and I’ve had projects for tv commercials in which the studio asks for clean topology for subdivision and multires sculpting, or expect a Zbrush file with all the subdiv levels in it to further refine and/or modify the sculpt. So it’s not just about how you perceive the process, or how you use it, a multires workflow is also needed.

7 Likes

I’m just reminding each people has it’s own needs so it’s own workflow, and not necessray using the same tools and sculpting features.

It’s just i don’t care multi rez in Blender, while it’s worked on, so that’s good for people really needing that in Blender sculpting i would say.

I don’t work in those areas, i’m focused on game assets.
The topology, is always retopo i use because game is all about optimization.

Also most of the time they don’t ask Zbrush or 3D coat file.
Because they really don’t want and don’t have time to work on a model supposed to be completed and fully working in game.

But perhaps with Unreal 5 dealing with million polys, using multi rez instead of retopo will work very well.

2 Likes

Multires and Brushes are worked on by two separate developers anyway.

Pablo Dobarro = Brushes
Sergey Sharybin = Multires/OpenSubDiv

8 Likes

You have to use flat color instead of matcap or studio light

1 Like

What? Yes, just yes. Sorry, but this is the reality in a professional pipeline.

I think you have entirely missed my point. Your examples of non-multi-level assets are irrelevant. I’m not calling the workflow into question. I use it all the time myself. Multi-level sculpting is an essential/integral facet of character production. That’s well established.

16 Likes

I’m not convinced that you do anything other than complain on BA as far as art is concerned, honestly. If you’ve never encountered a multiresolution workflow (never worked in a pipeline with ZBrush? What?) you can’t have been doing this for very long.

8 Likes

Do you know if rendering is working with the new vertex paint? I was just trying a build from earlier today and haven’t been able to render, it appears fine in material preview but as soon as I switch to Rendered the mesh turns black.

Is there any extra step I’m missing or is just not properly implemented yet?

I think we don’t talk about the same Blender and Zbrush mutli rez.

In Zbrush that’s default “Divide” subdivision levels, any Zbrush saved file has those levels, until you would delete those and keep only the hightest subdivision level.

Does someone or your company ask you only the completed highest rez model or does they need Zbrush with lower rez levels, it’s really about the need. I’m not concerned about those.

You missed the point also.

I mean people work on hightest subdivision level most of the time, even if they kept lower levels for fast display in Zbrush.

I guess you are talking about Zbrush “Divide” for subdivision levels ?
Because It’s by default what anyone will use as after blocking you need to increase resolution, nothing new.

As i do great blocking and paint micro details instead , i don’t need to keep lower resolution most of the time as i don’t go so much igh rez.
When i keep some lower rez it would be to keep Zbrush display fast and smooth because i would get too high in resolution.

I think you never heard of normal map painting, or normal map decals painting.

There is the same feature in 3D Coat, but i guess people use it when they don’t complete once for all the base blocking as it should be.
(I use mainly 3D coat “res+” without needing to go res levels back).

BTW, another feature lacking in Blender sculpting is sculpting layers.