The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

my smooth brush does nothing until I cick one more time and then hit undo :’(

Fix Cloth Brush global Sculpt gravity applied in the wrong falloff
https://developer.blender.org/D8406

12 Likes

Impressive! I wonder if Pablo could implement also self collisions hehe Anyway it looks really cool.

It’s like a ‘sneak peek’ of the new features in the next Zbrush, ahem…

2 Likes

Not related to your sculpting message. If you try to do “Poke Faces” you might get much better results for the same amount of vertices, when it comes to cloth creases. However is very destructive operation, you will loose your quads like this.

1 Like

I would like this to be transformed to texture painting as well. Who knows if there any chances to let vertex paint and texture paint share the same features. This would pump texture painting to new heights.

2 Likes

In the same manner I would expect to open source ZRemesher so Blender ecosystem could benefit at the same time, everybody helps each other that way. But in the end is all wishful thinking.

How do you think texture painting could profit from cloth simulation?

Such as simulating bristle pressure, that would allow you do dry brush techniques.

Dry brush techniques are very efficient, if you look at diorama making videos, the can offer really good results on rocks and other natural looking formations.

It might require much contribution. But this manpower would lack for other important projects.

Painting or sculpting apps do have an overview of textures, you just do not need to bother to create a texture, load an image or use very limited internal textures.

— Edit —
Mh, trying something.

Can you bevel vertex after poke face to get back to all quads?

16 Likes

I propose to rename Sculpt Mode to Cloth Mode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s putting the horse before the cart. I would much rather see an improved Clay brush engine, but I suppose the development of the tools has been specifically geared towards his personal artwork workflow from the start(which is entirely understandable considering he was doing it in his free time), and I don’t see that changing unless more devs are introduced to broaden the functionality of the workflow beyond his personal art style. Until then, the sculpt mode will be a niche toolset.

10 Likes

Provided that your mesh originally has perfect quads you can do [Select Similar] and dissolve these verts.

Though the entire technique is “destructive” to some degree because you try to restore something as it was before. I have lots of hope that with “everything nodes” these things will be like piece of take to accomplish.

In fact couple years ago I hear some… crazy rumors about “cloth dynamic” inside Zbrush. I reject this as fan wet dream. Dynamic in 2.5D sculpt software :crazy_face:
Anyway, I agree that Pixologic work on cloth long time. Such stuff can not be developed in just couple months. Also it’s true that Blender force all other developers to change gear. And this is good for everyone, no matter which software they use.

PS. I’m surprised how some Blender users are obsessed with comparison Blender with other software. I do not understand this. Live and let others to live. Competition and exchange of ideas are base of every progress.

6 Likes
11 Likes

this is the golden words!

3 Likes

Until now, Blender has always been optimized for stability and low to mid power workstations. So, basically things are going to stay that way until they redesign the low-level engine to support for heavy-duty workflows like realistic sculpting… and udim… and subdivs… and… oh well, you got the picture.
I’m afraid it won’t be soon… :neutral_face:

Pablo makes cartoony/stylized characters. Just curious: what are the other styles/personal workflows that Pablo is not taking into account? What problems do you find with his tools in your own works?

Improved brushes are already planned to come with the Everything Nodes project (by another developer).

those things has nothing to do with what Pablo is doing. I don’t see any correlation between Pablo’s personal style as an artist and what he’s doing for blender. Everything he’s done to date are an essential things for any workflow. Only “realistic sculpting”-related thing that blender need over that is better performance to add more detail. But that’s not Pablo’s direct responsibility.

Even more - I think it’s even harder task to make tools for stylized sculpting. I use zbrush since version 1 and it weren’t a problem to sculpt cool looking old people with all that wrinkles in zvrush2 already. But Only from 3.5 or so zbrush’s tools become capable to produce good looking stylized works without to much headache.
You need much more control and predictability in your brushes for making stylized forms that looks perfect.

4 Likes