The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Primarily, hard-surface sculpting/concepting, but also the HD Geo workflow for more detailed/realistic organic stuff.
However, it’s more about the ecosystem of tools and how they work together. The design of Zbrush is devilishly clever and everything works so well in that environment. Even the basic functionality and how it all revolves around ctrl/alt/shift - hiding/unhiding polygroups, masking, the navigation. It’s hard to explain, but they really nailed it when they conceived the design. The hard-surface workflows are particularly going to be very hard to emulate.

Are you sure you haven’t used Zbrush since version 1? I’ve also been using it since V1. I’m not sure what you mean at all regarding the ‘stylised tools Vs realistic’? It doesn’t make much sense to me.

This bit here has me especially puzzled?

Currently, the Clay brush engine/system in ZB is vastly superior to Blenders. To me, that should be a priority. The brushes are very limited and don’t feel as natural as ZB’s.

1 Like

Yeah… and give some love to some of the old stuff in the meantime… :wink:

Sculpt: Global Brush Palette
Multires: Delete Lower
Sculpt: Texture mesh filter
Sculpt: Add pinch radial and perpendicular modes to Draw Sharp
Sculpt: Improve Multires Fast Navigate rendering
Multires: Option to not refit the base mesh when using Apply Base
Sculpt: Initial Topology Distances and Falloff support
Sculpt: Improve Front Faces Only option
Sculpt: QuadriFlow Guides
Sculpt Snapshots
Sculpt: Convert to Multires
Add In Front /Visible option to lasso and box mask tools

14 Likes

This too, this too!

Paint: Use float for brush size

4 Likes

lol so good so far but we are still waiting for cloth self collisions too :wink:

2 Likes

There no such thing as “stylized” or “realistic” tools. Better control and predictability in the same tools allow for better/faster stylized results. Any imperfection is more visible. Zbrush 1-2 has much worse control and predictability in it’s tools and it was harder to create stylized characters than in 3 and 4

The brushes are very limited and don’t feel as natural

exactly what i’m talking about. And I can’t see any problem in Pablo’s personal art style here - even opposite.

2 Likes

Well, you said there was in your last post:

The Clay brushes didn’t exist back then(which brings me back to my main point that the Clay engine in Blender isn’t good enough) There were only 8 brushes in ZB back then. It was still very predictable(just the same as it is today using Standard brush) if you understood how to sculpt using subdiv levels.

So you agree with me then?

I never said there was. I said that his focus on it limits the development.

1 Like

Jeremy Hu, creator of the Dust 3D modeling app is advancing in his auto-retopology development. As Dust 3D is open source, this might be interesting to Blender as well.

9 Likes

Neat! I am however curious how the remesher looks on more mechanical objects with decent loops and such. Also hope that if it gets implemented that the devs will develop a more solid foundation for symmetrical remeshing, since the current system is not very good with all the mesh artefacts at the symmetry line.

2 Likes

i just tagged to pablo in twitter

1 Like

Thanks, though I can’t recollect Pablo responding to anyone on Twitter, so I don’t know if he reads tweets addressed to him.

3 Likes

Never seen him respond, he generally sticks to dev forum and tweets are just outward broadcasting I think ( I may be wrong though)

2 Likes

eek

2 Likes

He never answers anywhere… :unamused:

2 Likes

Maybe BF should require his workers to have a more open and friendly communication with the users??? :thinking:

1 Like

I have not seen in any other software the communication and feedback that exists between developers and users in Blender.
In my opinion Blender developers waste a lot of time communicating with users (myself included) in all available official contact channels. Maybe they could focus more on their work if they didn’t waste so much time with us. (I’m not being ironic, what I say is completely sincere)

9 Likes

I don’t expect Pablo to be responding to every single question by every single user all the time, or to be very active in any of the channels we have available, but he should at least answer to feedback every once and a while.
I mean, he only seems to pay attention to feedback when is something he’s personally interested into, if it’s not the he simply ignores it.

1 Like

There’s no such thing…
You can’t develop something that you don’t use without deeply communicating with those who actually use it… otherwise your product will suck…

Look at this overcomplicated brush management system that is coming… why is that? Yes you guessed… lack of communication:wink:

4 Likes

Mention a couple of other Blender-like softwares where you have as many possible direct communication channels with developers as we have with Blender.

That’s not the point… The point is, there’s no such thing as “wasting time communicating with users”… Devs do it cuz they know how valuable the users feedback is…

2 Likes

Ok, maybe my answer was a bit exaggerated, but maybe because yours complaints were also a bit exaggerated. Let’s find an intermediate point.

4 Likes