The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

in 2.92? the same dev-sculpt-brach from januany 5? i dont find it there…

Yes. Is one of those brushes without icons…

1 Like

Can Blender bake displacement maps?

not yet in 2.8…you can go to 2.79b and perhaps still get a good displament… but if you mean displacement from multirss, yes you can in 2.8…

2 Likes

Yes, I meant baking disp from a multires sculpt.

Now that’s something I never did in blender… I’m not even sure how the workflow for that is, but I heard bad things about it (speed/results)…

Toolbag is still my favorite…

this?

6 Likes

Not VDMs, just regular height map displacement. It’s more of a curiosity thing. Just wondered if high-res sculpted detail could be captured to a map(or udims) in Blender?

1 Like

Can’t bake 500 million point meshes to displacement map UDIMS though… :grin:

2 Likes

This week Pablo Dobarro changed (upgraded?) the status of a lot of tasks :eyes:

The Sculpt, Paint & Texture workboard now >>

8 Likes

The task I am the most excited about is the one about new Retopology Tools.
I am dreaming of Blender featuring Retopology tools that can compete with ones that are in other softwares/add-ons like TopoGun 3, Retopoflow 3…

5 Likes

Baking UDIMs is not supported, yet.
There was ability to bake displacement maps with Blender Internal in 2.79.
But since abandon of blender internal, there is no official way to bake a displacement map, except from multires without UDIMs.

That is one of those things that was neglected by 2.8 design.

2 Likes

So I was thinking about that asset library system that we will be using for sharing brushes, hopefully soon enough :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:
It, would be pretty beneficial to have a way to procedurally generate textures and alphas for brushes. We will be probably using a lot of custom alphas to create new brushes. If we use bitmaps for this, our brush library will grow heavy pretty fast. It may also inflate blender installation size if we keep adding new brushes in. What do you guys think?

Possible only from multires. For udims you would have to shift the uv layer to the first one and bake a new image since blender can currently only bake the first UV layer. They really need to tackle the baking workflow… So many bug reports on that because its wrongly used…

2 Likes

That was just organization i think.

Displacement baking works alright it it’s from multires, but it doesn’t work with UDIMS afaik.
I think (don’t take my word for it here) it was never implemented because there were plans to re-design the whole baking workflow, or at least I remember reading something about it on the devtalk forum.

EDIT: didn’t read the two other replies before mine, sorry

3 Likes

No I am not trying to do some abstract shapes, MultiRes has been just busy. 15 mins into MultiRes sculpting and this is what I get. I did not do much of anything beside upping and lowering the subdivision couple times then I added a material to the object (when it did this). Can I repeat how I got here? No, if I could I would definetely file a bug.

The bottom line is that, do not use MR for production. I had just started working this so it is not a big deal.

1 Like

Wow, the low frequency deformations looks like the base mesh has been modified. Has it ?

We should copy paste code from sculptgl. This miltiress made from scratch is pure trash.

Dont say something like that and act like its an easy thing to do. Of course They looked at the code but the implementation would not fit into blender. Its not about the end result or anything but how you talk about the work of others.

9 Likes