The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Indeed, it’s Wabi-sabi
& @Romanji we are many, growing until perfection :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No problem guys, I’ll accept you with all of your shortcomings. :grin:

5 Likes

I work until its 99% done and there is only one final push necessary, then I loose all interest.
At least so it appears to me on the surface, but by looking deeper it reveals my anxiety of judgement by others as well as by my own (unrealistic) expectation of perfectionism.

Damn, never actually heard of that and this is a mean curveball, now I want to start a new project from scratch applying that principle perfectly. :scream:

By accepting me with all my shortcomings you give me no incentive to change, so nothing changes. If you would reject me because of my failures, I would react contrary and might be motivated to do shit to show you what I am capable off, but it inevitably would end in my perfectionism being reborn and exercised so nothing would change.

I think I am gonna eat some Wasabi and think about my life choices.

4 Likes

Hmm, so what I’ve grown to believe is bad, and a flaw in character is actually a whole philosophical/aesthetic concept for the japanese… :exploding_head:

1 Like

Have to admit, writing everything while explicitly saing “That’s just my opinion” is hard. Need to find nice balance. :face_with_monocle:

Agree.

Yeah, that’ll need a lot of thinking and testing. Good thing they planned workshop but even after all that we might expect polishing and reorganization of tools in new modes for more than a year.

It’s hard to keep up :sweat: especially when you clearly far behind in experience.
At least we are focusing on discussion and not on who is right or wrong. So it was pleasant :slightly_smiling_face:

I know we’re derailing the thread a little here, but if we’re so keen on talking about it, it must mean something. This fear you’re talking about, that’s terrible. I know this feeling too well, it’s been holding me back my entire life. It took literally decades for me to identify it, and I’ve started actively working on it only weeks ago, trying to : do the thing, draw, model, whatever, but not be too perfectionist, because those standards, the ones you set for yourself… they’re unattainable ! So you’ll “fail” (really not), so you’ll never actually finish the work, so you’ll never show your work to other people.

I guess working in the industry kickstarted my transition to a healthier mentality, because then I wasn’t working for myself anymore, and having to keep deadlines made my submissions imperfect. It’s like being unable to shower for a week while trekking in the Himalayas : it makes you just a bit less OCD about your hygiene. Most often, clients wouldn’t even comment on the things I thought stood out because they were so rushed, you know ? details. They would get stuck on something I considered completely anecdotal. At that point, I would reassess my standards and think, “is it worth pursuing so hard when I’m the only one noticing? is it worth missing deadlines because I obsessed over a particular pixel?”

It felt good writing this out, thanks for bringing up the subject. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

To be content with doing something flawed is not a principle to be applied everywhere though, imagine if the Japanese decided to apply the principle of wabi-sabi to their nuclear reactors.

For personal stuff you make as a hobby (ie. not a commercial product or a piece of software you intend to build a community for), it would not be such a big deal.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry for derailing, was not really my intention.
I actually tried to make a light-hearted joke about it, but then I took my own joke too serious and it turned into something more deep. I am actually fine, not overly emotional about it (def not crying).

This could go either way, I don’t NEED to talk about it, but I gladly join if more people want to.
It’s up to you guys. Do more people want to talk about it?
It’s definitely a worthy subject of discussion, I can talk about it much longer but I am not willing to push this here in this thread.
Maybe we should notify a Mod and split this off?.

Same, I knew this for years, but it gets lost in memory and then it comes up again.
My mind is funny like that.

I laughed out loud, then I remembered Fukushima.
Oof, did it again.
I am gonna stop now.

Sure, not a principle to apply to software development, but definitely worth studying and applying for artistic and life purposes. I mean, the amount of hours I’ve spent on tiny details because my clients have obsessed and stressed about pixels that literally nobody else would notice is too high. :pensive:

Definitely a topic worth discussing, I’m literally just finding out about this.

1 Like

I think there are many mental roadblocks that “artistic people” (whatever that means) struggle with. Perfectionism to such an extent it could be considered an illness, or just your classic imposter syndrome. I haven’t seriously looked into the afflictions of painters throughout history, but it stands to reason (imho) that a sizeable proportion of artists would be at least a little insane. I’m sure there are studies on this, I’m going to ask a knowledgeable friend.

2 Likes

I keep this comicstrip in my main projects directory.

3 Likes

The more Blender develops, its proposals/changes begin to look more like Modo, which is not a bad thing. A lot of the concerns some of you have can be put to rest if they continue pushing Blender in that direction (work spaces, modes, unification of tools and interactivity). It can be divided up into specialized work environments, while also allowing the users to, if they so choose, have access to most of what can exist in other workspaces. I’m not against more modes either if they can streamline and improve upon the experience for each aspect of the pipeline.

I almost thought the same as you, but after getting over the initial frustration with learning Zbrush I came to the realization that its not atrocious at all. In fact, Zbrush’s UI is very logical (in most cases, not all), its even simple once you realize their thought process when designing it. Everything is a unique panel and each panel is a category with the relevant bits inside. This matches how we are in real life when it comes to organization. The issue most have (in my opinion) is less the GUI but more so the default navigation (which is objectively hard to adjust to).

I noticed a lot of new comers can pick it up easily IF they are not coming from a background of other software which has already trained them to carry certain expectations/muscle memory, where as the opposite is true when they are experienced in other software.

2 Likes

This is my impression also.
As example the Geometry Nodes, too basic and main feature is object spawner on vertex.
While i expected geometry editing features similar to Houdini, not just objects spawning system.

Hopefully for usage i do, i really don’t expect Blender to compete on areas specific software is the best like Substance or Zbrush for example.

But i hope some areas like Geometry Nodes, painting materials will really get a boost and get lot more advanced and more features complete, perhaps sometimes avoiding us to use external software.

7 Likes

Let me give you some food for thought:
Perfectionism might be a compensation for a lack of confidence and too much anxiety, a pathological twisted protection mechanism that tries to shield you from suffering through judgement, but it creates a routine of self sabotage and self-fulfilling prophecy that feeds your feelings of inadequacy.
Its a vicious circle that creates subconscious negative expectations of constant failure you program and project into your own future. The more you follow this subconscious paradoxical programming, the more negative emotions you create, that you inevitably want to overcome by compensating even harder.
As a consequence you may formulate lots of plans that you’ll never be able to follow through with because the amount of work in front of you crushes your spirit as it becomes like a mountain so high that you no longer dare to approach it or even look at it.
A gigantic mountain of karmic debt, technical debt and emotional debt that you cannot pay off through actions, so you turn around and build new mountains with a mindset of: “this time I’ll do it better, this time I am gonna win…”
You might want to build only a small molehill, just a small thing that you can control, but your feelings of inadequacy don’t allow that, you have to build something great to overcome these feelings, so your new mountain gets bigger and bigger.
It is basically exactly what Einstein said about Insanity: doing the same thing again and again, expecting a different outcome.
People truly go mad because of it.
A solution is only possible if you are able to see it (you running and chasing your own shadow) and then erase all of your expectations, completely letting go of these mountains, accepting defeat and failure, accepting what is there instead of desiring more, stopping with judging yourself, forgiving yourself for it and stop thinking about it.
Only then can you make a hard cut, like a person becoming a monk leaving his usual life and self behind, not seeking anything, just accepting what is there in the moment.
I can’t do it right now, but I am painfully aware of what’s going on, and I can warn others about it.
It cuts deep and evokes spiritual systems that teach principles to overcome it, but talking the talk is always easier than walking the walk.
Being indifferent towards one’s own desires is probably as hard as being indifferent towards one’s own life.

7 Likes

You judge for self. Belief is only bad, if you don’t make any good of it. Especially if/when it becomes dogma and one suffers whole life of delusions. We all learn about true being, meaning and making sense from own mistakes. It’s what builds a character (and style). It’s flaws making one to achieve better state while reminiscing, seeing in retrospective, contemplating… Add some respect toward and comprehension of sustainability among everything… then suddenly, it might all become playing some soulful jazz.

Enjoy it.

1 Like

OK guys, let’s wrap up the contemplations and return to the sculpting temple of sensei Dobarro. :pray::innocent:

3 Likes

On the subject of Pablo’s work itself, it is a scary thought that writing just one article on your plans can seemingly turn you into a pariah for life, even after writing walls of text clarifying them and noting that things were not explained near as well as they should (because people refuse to read the additional material provided by multiple people who were with him).

Forgiveness and grace does not exist in the minds of some, one perceived mistake and you are hosed with no chance of recovery. If performance for high-poly assets was not important, then the devs. would not be optimizing everything from mesh evaluation to the depsgraph to make editmode faster. Do not forget Joseph’s work on the new sculptmode core and Kevin’s work on OpenSubDiv (which both bring huge boosts).

16 Likes

Anyway, it is clear that Pablo is expecting the new (much faster) Dyntopo core to soon be committed to master, as he is now working on improving the toolset for that mode.
https://developer.blender.org/D9385

This isn’t feature creep, as what this patch does is make the smooth tool actually capable of smoothing things without ruining the curvature of the mesh.

10 Likes

New smooth mode looks great.

2 Likes

The first bits of Joseph’s Dyntopo work is now up for discussion on the dev. site.
:anchor: T89540 Unique IDs For BMesh (blender.org)

This isn’t a patch and this does not talk about the optimizations, but it appears to show the new Dyntopo core is getting mature enough for design discussions to start.

12 Likes