The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

New sculpt-dev build is up… :wink:

4 Likes

sculpt dynotopo?

What do you mean? :thinking:

What bothers me a little is that currently Pablo working on array brush for 3 full weeks at least judging from his reports and it’s not done yet. I’m not sure if this brush worth 3+ weeks of development :thinking:
And he also doesn’t active on bugtracker. Perhaps Pablo working on something without reporting it but since he doesn’t report it then we have no other choice but assume that’s the only thing he did nearly whole month - array brush.

1 Like

He may be employed part time (20 hours week). Not all devs work full-time.

I doubt it. You can see on BF funding page contracts

There is full time grant for Pablo, and after that every time “All contracts continue” (except Nathan’s), so there should have been no changes for his full time grant.

Nice! Thanks for mentioning it here.

Inconveniently, sculpt-dev and temp_bmesh_multires are separate builds. Temp_bmesh_multires has the latest version of Dyntopo and the Multires modifier, while the sculpt-dev build has Pablo’s latest Sculpt Mode advancements. Hopefully most of the features of both builds will be merged into the Master build soon, so both builds will be more up to date with each other’s features.

5 Likes

I experimented a bit with the Array brush in the latest Sculpt Dev build. It’s a very promising new tool, but beware: it’s still crash-sensitive. Pablo mentioned this over at Blender.chat: “The array brush is still in development and not ready for user testing. It still has entire parts of its code missing.”

6 Likes

I also did some testing with the array brush last night and while it’s buggy still I think it has great potential, it kinda gave me some QuickCurve vibes

5 Likes

He worked like 2 months on that sculpt expand operator thingy i believe. Correct me if i’m wrong.
It’s a cool feature but was it worth it? Dunno…

3 Likes

Interesting… But my main concern is actually the fate of those hot patches that were teased a long time ago, as they seem to be going nowhere, while new stuff are keep being added…

Just to name a few…
Multires: Delete Lower
Sculpt: Insert Mesh Brush tool
Sculpt: Option to transform only the sculpt pivot
Sculpt: Texture mesh filter
Add option to fill holes before running the voxel remesher
[WIP] Sculpt: Convert to Multires
Sculpt Snapshots

:frowning:

7 Likes

I’m not sure if some of those patches should go in ASAP when the sculpt core itself is being rewritten in another branch (Joseph Eagar has been making commits weekly, primarily relating to Dyntopo). The reason being that some of these seem to touch the core itself.

For instance, the convert to multires operation would make more sense from Dyntopo’s new core is in (because you will be able to obtain and keep the detail you want).

3 Likes

One thing I was hoping that Pablo would take a look at the pressure curves for the size and the strength and make them separate controls.

The strength pressure feel is quite strange when the brush size is disabled as if the brush size pressure has some curve applied while the strength pressure is either linear or has very limited brush pressure range. You can test this by disabling the pressure size control and see how the strength portion feels.

4 Likes

okey muchas gracias

1 Like

At least expand operator is something that affects virtually all brushes since it affects masking and face sets. In case of array brush it’s just that, a single brush. Sure it has non-destructive elements but for now I don’t see people go “that’s what I need” that much. Cloth brush was like that since it affects, you know, most cloth cases.

Adjustable pressure curves are implemented in the sculpt-dev branch. They’re in Brush Settings, the first curve is size, second is strength.

4 Likes

I really hope those curve graphs will get their own expandable subsection though. They’re taking up precious space in the Brush settings section now, leaving less space for other expanded sections in the vertical column.

@Ace_Dragon is right. Joe’s branch is named temp-bmesh-multires.
It is not just about dyntopo but also use of bmesh code for sculpt mode. So, it probably should have an impact on patches related to Multires modifier.
I have a python problem with this branch. I can’t get a build displaying buttons.

Sculpt Snapshots is a proof of concept. It has design issues.
This + option about sculpt pivot and Insert Mesh Brush initiated a brainstorming about modes design and brush management. Result was the blog’s article about Asset Creation Pipeline Design.
In the following blog’s article, brush management was described as too heavy to end-up in Blender 3.0 release.

Plus, reviewers of those patches are currently absorbed by other stuff.
Jeroen is reviewing Manuel Castilla’s work on improving full frame performance of compositing nodes since 3 months.
Few commits about full frame compositor have been added to master in June and several dozens in July.
Sergey is almost only working on Cycles X since its announcement.

Sadly Pablo isn’t a “regular” sculptor. If you watch his streams you will see he isn’t sculpting at all (imo). And yes you have good points but Pablo can’t care less because he doesn’t even need any kind of pen pressure (i guess).

2 Likes

Maybe you also observed this bug that I reported a good while ago?

1 Like