The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Question for some of the blendersculpt oldskoolers , do you know what happened to @michalis he was a big inspiration, back when dyntopo was first in “trunk” (or whatever they call trunk now) it says he’s last login was 2017. I think he was italian, and also not young. I say that because I remember italy was hit pretty hard at the start of the pandemic.

Also secondly, do you guys remember what version of blender was best for dyntopo? was it 2.6x or 2.7x I’ve ready its gotten slower since.

He got tired of the arguing, also tired of many things and got rid of his interaction here as well as Blender. Same for a few others. I haven’t talked to Michalis, but I have messaged Psy-Fy over the last few years and he mentioned Michalis was still around way back then, but I don’t have news as of late.

1 Like

To be honest that is understandable. It’s a shame. Thanks for letting me know.

2 Likes

For me 2.79 still has better performance in Dyntopo that the most recent versions, specially after 1 million tris. But if you don’t mind working with experimental versions check the temp-bmesh-multires branch, on my last test with it dyntopo performance was a lot better.

3 Likes

Hi
Does anyone knows a tutorial on how to build blender with the temp-bmesh-multires branch on windows. I really love the work that the dev is doing with dyntopo.
Thanks

I´ve been using the latest build in the builder, but the branch it’s constantly being renewed

Thanks, I will take a look at that branch.

Some brushes seem to have uneven strength profiles compared to the others. It sounds like the rotate brush is one of them. Another example is the pinch brush. If you disable the size and put the strength to “1” you can see that the strength pressure acts almost like it is not utilized during drawing.

1st stroke strength at “1”, the second stroke has “0.4” strength, the difference in the brush effect is puzzling. It feels like it is almost not using any pressure at all at value 1.

Just dropping to share this tutorial I found yesterday concerning Cloth Filter, definetely deserves more views, it’s pure gold for upholstery modeling and discover some little interesting tricks.

29 Likes

Nice find, just what I want.

2 Likes

I’m fine, I just stopped this 3d adventure.
Living in Greece in good health.
Thank you for your concern.

34 Likes

Ah Greece, sorry my mistake. I’m glad to hear you are still around, thanks for the fun and inspiration. Hope you are still making things, even if not 3d.

2 Likes

thanks i’ll try both

I am glad you are fine.

1 Like

I think that situation was existing before Pablo’s changes.

It looks like enabling pressure sensitivity for Hardness setting, although its value is zero may improve that.

Dyntopo sculpting was impacted by lost of performances of viewport with high polycount models induced by 2.8 refactor.
But in 2.80, it gained a new detailing method : manual detail and a topology rake slider.
In 2.81, general sculpting feeling was a lot improved with Pablo’s additions of Scene Spacing and Normal radius.
And in following releases, Pablo’s additions had been made compatible with Dyntopo, too, most of the time.
There are few new brushes that are not working on dyntopo, now.
So, if you don’t focus on performance, but in terms of features, dyntopo sculpting is capable of doing a lot more in a 2.93 release, now, than in 2.79.

4 Likes

Paintings, watercolors drawings as always,
And a lot of photography.
Cheers

9 Likes

Is shift + r really supposed to be that awkward?

Yes. The behaviour is not great for extreme values.
It looks like the increment is adapted to actual value when shift R is pressed.
That is logical. You are supposed to increase resolution gradually and never go back to an higher value.
Unless, you want to erase created details.
So, the fmore detailed your mesh is, the finer resolution adaptation should be.
But it is true: that is an extremely too low increment adaptation, here.
So if default value is 1, you need a small distance to reach 0.0001.
But if value is 0.0010, you need to travel the whole screen to reach 0.0011.

You can still set the value manually under Remesh panel.
But at the opposite, for a value above 1, Shit R slider will start at 1.
I did not check. But it has probably already been reported.

5 Likes

Glad to read this :slight_smile:

I really wish these settings were whole numbers.

Instead of 0.0011 it would be more user friendly to enter 900

1 / 900 = 0.0011

2 Likes