The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

In general. I know we’re getting more details on the sculpt part in the upcoming blog post.

Haven’t seen any big projects to look forward to for 3.1.

Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look at the release notes.

2 Likes

Most important ones:

• GPU SubDiv
  • Creasing
  • Line Art improvements
  • A LOT of Geo-Nodes stuff
  • Point Clouds rendering
  • High-res images support in image editor

Sorry for the offtop.

8 Likes

Thanks. That’s a pretty quiet release, understandable with the recent holidays though. :slight_smile:

And ye, sorry for muddying up the thread.

Looking forward to some texture/sculpt module momentum.

4 Likes

It’s coming.

4 Likes

Another convert from Zbrush?

2 Likes

Nah just a trend chaser who wants to make money with his courses

4 Likes

Why not, since it is not like he had to purchase anything to download Blender and give its sculpt mode a whirl. That and the fact that seizing all possible opportunities is pretty much mandatory now if you want to receive anything more than pocket change from Youtube (since it is my belief that Google would outright end revenue sharing if not for the risk of a major user exodus).

On that last part, I can back that notion up by the fact that this is already the case for many small channels, and we have seen last year how they are now starting to take an axe to their GSoC program as well.

1 Like

He said in the video that he is only using Blender now, it does not sound like he is pretending to use Blender only to milk the crowd.

That’s not what he said. He said it’s the only thing he’s been using for the past month or so. Which makes sense since the video is to promote his upcoming beginner sculpting in Blender product he’ll be selling in the next month or two. He says teaches ZBrush in person because it’s industry standard and Blender is not. He also implies in the video he would still use it for very high poly sculpts.

1 Like

. He said it’s the only thing he’s been using for the past month or so.

Which is what I said, without the time aspect. He had to start somewhere.

Which makes sense since the video is to promote his upcoming beginner sculpting in Blender product he’ll be selling in the next month or two

Is there anything wrong about making a paid tutorial that promotes Blender this way or that way?

. He also implies in the video he would still use it for very high poly sculpts.

That is the right way to go about it for now.

1 Like

There’s a bit of an overload of Blender beginner video tutorials these days. The same basic ‘RTFM’ knowledge is being regurgitated over and over again by subscriber-hungry YouTubers. If you’re an advanced Blender user and like to keep track of interesting news, the noise among the Blender media keeps increasing. The same goes for the expanding forest of sometimes superfluous add-ons.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a lot of tutorials end up just being the same actual knowledge regurgitated in the same way over and over with blender stuff and nothing ever actual interesting, there are a hand full of actual good video makers.

What i currently do is just watch 3D stuff in maya or 3dsmax (genral 3D videos over specific stuff) they tend to have much more information and be a lot more intermediate to advanced topics, an other good resource are artstation blog posts or level 80 posts and analyzing free work by well known artists.

People tend to get stuck in blender tutorial hell where it’s this infinite cycle of “I need to learn blender” the truth is you don’t need to learn blender you need to learn how to 3D model / 3D concepts and different sort of pipelines any software will do.

9 Likes

Yeah, I listen to the Pixologic streams while I sculpt in Blender, and you can learn a lot of general knowledge from professionals that do this thing for a living, even if you’ve never even opened Zbrush.

It’s also an opportunity to appreciate things that Blender has and Zbrush doesn’t. Apparently there’s no way to enable smooth shading over there? They just subdivide the model until it looks smooth :rofl: Or that Zmodeler thing, it looks very painful to use…

On a related note: on practically all of these Zbrush streams there’s always at least one heckler going “would you like to talk about our lord and savior, Blender?” :confused:

9 Likes

Those sort of people are everywhere and they just can’t understand that blender will never beat zbrush or houdini, and this is not a bad thing they all are different software with their own strengths and weaknesses.

It’s sort of what is annoying me currently with “everything nodes” it feels like a lot of blenders core features got completely neglected to become a houdini clone.

I would rather they spent most that effort fixing core poly tooling, fixing the undo system, getting us a separate UV editor with proper UV tools and an actual system to distinguish islands as individual pieces and work on the separation of how data is handled for poly modeling and sculpting so we can take steps to high poly modeling and then go as crazy as you want with everything nodes.

5 Likes

Different developers work on different parts of the code, hence division by modules. There is no point blaming progress in one module for lack of development in other, those are hardly related.

It’s also strange to hear “core features completely neglected”. We got edit mode performance speedup, Knife and UV work by GSoC students relatively recently, in parallel with progress of Geometry Nodes.

3 Likes

Not to mention Library Overrides and Asset Browser.

5 Likes

There is an option for smooth normal shading in the ZBrush BPR render settings, but I don’t remember if it needs a BPR render to show up. I’ve ritually uninstalled ZBrush since the ‘Maxologic’ takeover, so I can’t check it. :laughing:

Ahh, yes, one of the things I don’t miss. :smirk:

1 Like

Yes, there is definitely more, Cycles, EEVEE, USD/Alembic… but given that phrase was “a lot of blenders core features”, not “all”, I decided to mention areas that was later described in more details as lacking in development. :slightly_smiling_face:

Aah, I wanted to be orthodox and tried to give examples of omitted ‘core’ features. Overrides are in ‘core’ module after all.

Then it would be even easier as core module responsibility is much more limited, UV and modeling tools in general are not part of it, as well as Asset Browser. Even edit mode performance is probably not part of it for the most part. :thinking: Anyway, we derailed a bit.

1 Like