The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

:frowning:

Well, at least the orco draw brush is already there… haha…

Then you have to wait… sorry, or compile :slight_smile: or go to the pablos patreon, he is maintaining a build for windows.

man this stuff is getting better and better every day, I think I’m gonna become a patreon

3 Likes

You should tell the user that make the builds, because in the description on graphicall he said that the Mask Extract is on it.

1 Like

I can replicate that, I asked Pablo, lets wait for a respond :slight_smile:

Also works on macOS but I custom build too. Sweet feature.

I already did… :wink:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

I talk to Pablo about the steeping problem, and we found a workaround.
If you convert the sculpt vertex color, to vertex color, and use it as an attribute in a emisive shader, you see the colors with out the aberrations. So I propose to him that maybe he can make a way that it automatically converts every sculpt vertex color stroke to vertex color, so we can see en eevee as the same time as we paint. So he did that and it worked, but the hack did give a lot of problems, it broke the undo, and the modifiers and also it makes painting slower,
So for now, you have to store the sculpt vertex color in vertex color, and then use it as attribute. So any time you want to see what is going on, you go to eevee and see what is happening.

But there is a bug that crashes blender if you move something in the shader editor when you are also in sculpt mode. (Pablo is working to fix it)

In the other hand, he thinks that a lot of things have to change to fix that issue, he said that he is painting with a 32 bit channel on a 8 bit channel… but! he is going to implement all the mix modes next, so maybe he can do something about that.

Lets wait, go to patreon :slight_smile: and see what happens.

Also, this hapend, they decided what to do next:

Also this is waiting for the future:
https://developer.blender.org/rB74f7cdcf6bb8032b6bf8881007e0344366849859
This will be the future object volume that sculpt will be based on :slight_smile: (or maybe I didn’t understand well enought)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, sir! Good to know!
I am already supporting him on Patreon. This project is huge! It deserves our feedback.
Congrats to everyone involved!

I believe this is the renderer-agnostic volume object for volumetrics-related things, like smoke and such? It’s not for sculpting. I mean, you could make a sculpting thing based on that, similar to how 3dCoat does voxels, but it’s not for general mesh sculpting.

https://developer.blender.org/rB0997eff30c4583ede4b38f73b0978e5aaa924ee0

The new color blend modes!!!

2 Likes

IMO, that does not make sense to add vertex color to sculpt mode that way.
From user perspective, it is frustrating to loose all options of a Vertex Paint mode brush.

Just color + blend mode without a color strength decoupled from sculpt strength : it is unusable.
Compared to vertex paint mode, we are loosing ability to a decoupled texture, a decoupled falloff and Blur, Smear and Average brushes.

OK. it is not necessary to double all brush settings. One symmetry panel is sufficient. But I am not sure that would not be useful to use an Airbrush Stroke Method for color and a Space one for sculpting.

I don’t understand why paint brush shows settings of a sculptdraw brush.
IMO, there should be another tab in sidebar to show vertex color settings of current brush and just a button in sculpt brush tab to enable/disable it.

Putting all settings into one tab… it will be unbearable when will happen time to add a cavity mask or a gradient by depth for color.

1 Like

Painting single paint layers is not a modern design anyway.

Whatever Pablo does with the vertex painting, he should account for the fact users will want to paint with materials - combined albedo, roughness, metalness.

2 Likes

Some gp_remesher update for fast sculpting iterations:

12 Likes

woowww
it is fantastic

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1146753390225088515?s=09

26 Likes

Ok BF, hire this dude… :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I think they’re planning on hiring him as soon as possible.

8 Likes

I didn’t see any reason to hire Pablo right now, he is running the patreon page which getting bigger every day,so he can develop separately the sculpt features without financially hurting the blender foundation :slight_smile:

1 Like