The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Mesh planarization. Afaik, no. Sorry

Yeah, the real juice is yet to come… :wink:

4 Likes

Lets hope Multires support will ship this year and not in one or two years from now. I don’t wanne wait much longer.

5 Likes

Just tested the new sculp-dev build and I have an issue with Sculpt Paint - when I am painting with white color over black, strength ~0.25, Mix blending & Accumulate, then I would expect I will be able to gradually lighten that black until it is completely white (to “erase” it)… but the lightening stops once the black becomes light gray.
To lighten it more I need to set the brush strength to ~0.5 or so.
I never had such problem in Vertex Paint mode.
Am I doing something wrong?

Try in the latest 3.2 alpha… the sculpt dev branch might be outdated… :thinking:

1 Like

It has been released today and I need sculp-dev because of fast Eevee sculpting / painting.

The one you say is “released today” matches the commit id from March 31st.

3 Likes

Tried the new Paint tool in Blender 3.2 alpha. Works nicely. :+1:

8 Likes

The latest alpha doesn’t offer the Accumulate feature (or I didn’t find it), Eevee sculpting is slow (so not merged with sculpt-dev branch yet), no face corner painting… so not much to test.

Yeah, I noticed that too…

Didn’t know it was fast in the branch… (Haven’t touch the sculpt dev branch in a while…)

The branch can do that in sculpt mode?

Accumulate option disappeared in last sculpt-dev branch, I succeeded to compile.
I did not test the tmp-sculpt-colors branch. Too many temp-branches.
But I don’t think it is different than in master.

Face Set Masking is supported.
But it looks like a Face Corner color attribute does not behave differently than a Point color attribute.

So, that are two big losts, compared to old regular vertex painting.
But I hope that Joe had plans to reintroduce them.

Joseph replied…

2 Likes

Any chance we can get a curvature option added when baking from Multires? Will make baking this faster and easier.

Also hopefully bake vertex color from Multires will be added when Multires is possible with Vertex color.

This sculpt paint is very nice on a heavily subdivided mesh, very easy to feel like a Krita brush set kinda. I did try with an image texture set to Stencil and that’s still a no go. Interesting developments so far.

4 Likes

Tested the sculpt vertex colors in 3.2. Really smooth.

If we can paint vertex colors and sculpt at the same time in the future. That would be awesome.

1 Like

Yes we can… :smiley:

Kidding… :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of old branches from dobarro, when sculpt and paint at the same time was still available…
Too bad it was removed… :sob:

12 Likes

Wait wait wait - is it a new feature?

1 Like

Click the “triangle” below the video…

4 Likes

Me neither. It’s a tad too experimental and messy to my liking lately, with too many additions, and you don’t know which of those will survive. I’m using the daily Master builds, so I’m sure what’s been merged in there will not be removed again after I’ve just gotten used to it in the Sculpt Dev branch.

1 Like

That’s one of my huge concerns as well…

So whenever possible I’ll try to poke the devs to port stuff to Master… :stuck_out_tongue:
And since we are in the middle of the vertex colors war, here is my first attempt…

Those random functions of the color filter in the sculpt dev are not available in the Master build… and they are very useful… it would be a shame to lose those guys too… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

5 Likes