The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

:+1:

I also still miss the interactive mask blur and other realtime mask processing functions from the Sculpt Dev branch. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Recent 3.2 alpha - can you confirm the layer selection is now ignored when painting in Vertex Paint?

God damn… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s dead…

Dude not cool, my 5 seconds of hapinesss just got ruined :sob: :slightly_smiling_face:

Why was it removed though. Thanks for highlighting this.

3 Likes

UI team happened…
For them, “sculpting and painting at the same time” is some sort of “corner case use-case” and it would just clutter the sculpt mode’s UI… can you imagine that?

And boom, just like that we lost a very valuable feature…

7 Likes

We should voice this in the Blender sculpt chat.

4 Likes

These decisions sometimes… First it’s like trying to let people get hold of a new feature ASAP, the next thing they do is, for the sake of whatever argument, is to remove it again. And no-one has a clue on the reasoning, even though the reasoning is about how it is used…
Why don’t the devs consult the end-users at times to ask whether it is okay to remove stuff?

5 Likes

Why would they? Blender dev don’t have any obligation.

Maybe because it benefits users? They are not obliged to, but sometimes they could. That’s all I am saying.

4 Likes

That’s what it feels like sometimes, decisions don’t seem to be made based on the needs of the pro yet the BF is happy to get the money.

1 Like

That is why it is often not a good idea to make your projects dependent on features found in a branch.

Branch features are generally not treated as official until they land in master, and the devs. are not obligated to ensure that everything within them lands in an official release (that is unless the complete integration of the branch is explicitly mentioned as an official target).

The point of branches anyway is to allow for unblocked development (as what is seen in master during the feature freeze) and as a proving ground for experimental projects.

7 Likes

Hmm… Its a bit frustrating. But I know the devs mean well and Blender is free. and they are doing the best they can. So I have to suck it up and be patient. Good job by them so far. Hopefully they reconsider and add the paint as you sculpt feature back. They really should have evaluated things before removing it though. Cluttering the sculpt mode UI isn’t a good reason to remove such an important and very useful feature.

Another thing we need is a color texture slot, like the alpha texture slot:
pic
where you can load in textures and you can vertex paint using the anchored stroke.

Any chance for vertex paint layers?

EDIT: Anyone know how to color pick as you paint sculpt vertex color? Is there a shortcut?
EDIT2: Shortcut S to sample vertex colors

2 Likes

Good luck with that, mate… :wink:

You mean vertex paint using the texture’s color, like this?

ZBrush polypaint

Yeah yeah… count me in…

It also needs more stroke methods… :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, We need something like that for sculpt vertex colors. I am not sure if this would be easy to implement or difficult. This wasn’t possible in vertex paint either.

The stroke method you used is possible in Blender using the anchored stroke. I think the stroke methods so far in Blender is okay? What other stroke method would you like to see in Blender?

2 Likes

Roll?

8 Likes

Wow…that would be nice.

I am curious what the next step for sculpt vertex colors would be now it is in master builds. Have the devs released any next steps?

1 Like

8 Likes

Yeah. Would make a good addition. Hopefully we get some new stroke methods.

2 Likes

Hahaha, you should post this GIF over at ZBrushCentral. :laughing:

5 Likes