The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Oh god that is super useful and i want it. :pray: :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I may find the time to upload it later.

3 Likes

fuuuuuk dude thats was way too fast, please share it when is “polished” or ready enough :pray:

2 Likes

Is grey in the alpa supposed to mean 0 (no up or down displacement)? If so wouldn’t something like map range be easier to manually tweak? map 0.5-ish to 1 into 0 to 1?

The automatic sample bias is a great idea! That should be done in core imo.
The keymap is a big topic that should be properly discussed and designed at some point. That Blender uses the transform operators via shortcuts in sculpt mode is not intentional :confused:

11 Likes

These Settings Will Change How You Sculpt in Blender. - YouTube

Valuable Input

8 Likes

I watched this video two days ago. What she said makes a lot of sense. Some of the settings could use a bit of adjusting to make sculpting in blender easier, especially for newcomers. The importance of having settings that produce good results straight out of the box is underappreciated

1 Like

I published the “Auto Brush Bias” addon on gumroad. Its an early but fully functional initial version that currently offers two different texture analysis modes with a one click setup.

11 Likes

Grabbed it but i get this error when i enable it.

I installed the .py file like any other addon.

2 Likes

Thanks @Harti I fixed it and uploaded it!

4 Likes

Tested in Blender 3.2, working perfectly. So simple and yet so good! This will come in handy with some alphas brought over from Zbrush.

4 Likes

Thanks much @RaphaelBarros, btw there will be another feature upgrade soon.

3 Likes

Yes! I would LOVE LOVE a “repeat last stroke” function in Blender sculpt mode!! You can repeat last curve to stroke in Blender, but not repeat last brush stroke.

If your hand drawn sculpt brush stroke has varied pressure, and you want to amplify it, “repeat last brush stroke” would be the only way as far as I know.

7 Likes

@joeedh Any chance this can pls be added to Blender exports for fbx and obj files? :pray:

Anyone know of any addon that allow this in Blender? I am not a big fan of having to add and remove assets from the Mesh collection folder with the Send2ue addon in order to export assets. I find it cumbersome. Simply selecting and exporting should be just fine. Send2ue addon requires all assets must be in a folder called ‘‘Mesh’’ for the export to work. This makes keeping an organized scene folder/collections problematic and disruptive imho as you have to add and remove all the time.

1 Like

An object can be in infinite different collections at the same time. A Collection is not a "folder’. A Collection is a “category” or a “hashtag”.

When dragging an object into another collection, read the tooltip, press ctrl to link it into the other collection. It now exists in both collections. When you are done, right click the object and use Unlink.

They should really rename it to “Unlink from Collection”. Also those tooltips look like a blurry low quality jpeg compared to the rest of the text in the outliner.

… Mesh collection folder … in a folder called ‘‘Mesh’’ … folder/collections problematic … add and remove

When something you don’t know what to call is frustrating you, the first thing you need to do is find out for sure what you’re actually supposed to call it and why.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.
Did not know about the linking to collections. I still think this should be added to export options. More straightforward and intuitive than having to drag to a particular collection and removing it rather than just select and export.

Agreed.

1 Like

wasn’t there some thing like this that was supposed to be implemented in retopoflow. patch quadrangulation type thing like the one in topogun

1 Like

I haven’t read thru the entire thread yet, is Sculpt Layers being worked on at all? This is the only feature I really need to use Blender for sculpting.

1 Like

It’s on the workboard but not in development yet

8 Likes

Nice! Glad to know it’s on their radar at least.

4 Likes