The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

:information_source:

5 Likes

So, has anyone checked out the new hair sculpting in the 3.3 alpha? Combined with some geometry nodes, it looks like it’s going to be my new favorite way of doing chonky stylized hair. No more pushing around curve points, it’s all sculpting baby :sunglasses:

But I do need some single strand automasking option ;(

Here’s a demo .blend file:
StylizedHairCurvesDemo.blend (786.8 KB)

62 Likes

Looks like fun…
No surface collision yet apparently…?:thinking:

3 Likes

Not yet but someone is working on it. https://developer.blender.org/D15451

11 Likes

This is pretty cool. I am wondering if hand animating strand hair would be possible now especially if surface collision becomes a thing.

Can the sculpting strand hair be keyframed in 3.3?

2 Likes

I couldn’t find any way to keyframe the hair curves. There’s not a lot you can do with it right now. I can’t even convert it to a mesh…

BTW: I’ve uploaded a demo .blend file to my previous post, since I didn’t really explain how I did that stuff.

2 Likes

You can always duplicate the hair, transfer the position attribute, and use it as a shape key in geo node.

1 Like

Still no insert multi mesh brush ?

Also will remesh support symmetry when it’s activated without more workflow steps switching to object and using some mirror modifier before switching back to sculpt mode ?

I’m afraid not…
I guess sculpt dev is not a priority right now… it’s all about painting, it seems… :thinking:

What about symmetrize? :thinking:

4 Likes

When i look at some videos people sculpting in Blender and doing so much switching between object mode and sculpt mode then use join then remesh, mainly for blocking all shapes.
While this could be so faster and smooth workflow using insert multi mesh and be able to create your own multi mesh library.

This could perhaps be simple and onlh scripting i don’t know, but that’s a feature that brings a lot to workflow like in 3D coat or Zbrush.

2 Likes

Yeah… we’ve been asking for insert mesh brush for years…
Dobarro almost did it… See: https://developer.blender.org/D9380

Too bad it never moved forward…
It would be nice if the sculpting module had more devs working on the basic stuff like this…

11 Likes

Ok. Hoping the devs consider adding keyframing sculpt hair. That would be awesome.

Thanks for the file :+1:

@aryeramaty I kinda feel keyframing the hair would be better than using shapekeys. While shapekeys are good. Keyframing the haircurves allows for more freedom in creating realistic hair movements like the way hair is animated in 2d animation for example and more flexible control.

1 Like

I think this depends highly on the use case.

If you are animating, keyframing hair would be of course more usefully.
But if you are interested on character platforms and want easily adjustable third-party hair, than shape-keys are the king.

Best would be of course having both. Keyframing and shapekeying hair, but I guess we will none of both :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It would be nice if any one area of Blender had just enough devs working on it.

2 Likes

Issue is perhaps people choosing what to priorize in Blender sculpt mode are not using Zbrush,3D Coat, Nomad and other sculpting apps, so they don’t know what is fast fluid sculpting workflow.
And they don’t watch people doing long sculpting videos in Blender to understand they waste too much time in small steps that should not be compared to other sculpting apps.

Has the sculpting team in Blender grown ?
We should do a kickstarter to bring enhance Blender sculpting :rofl:

Before adding MM to Blender if it would happen, why not just some Insert primitives brush, adding some high resolution sphere or cube we can move, rotate, scale, then sculpt ?

I think what is lacking first is managing different objects directly in sculpt mode without having to switch to object more and manage collections. Some sort of panel to quickly select objects and merge or substract between objects, similar to Zbrush but perhaps better.

I know in Zbrush better use polygroups to quickly select your different objects, but still some panel for objects working only for sculpting mode would be great.

Until workflow improves, this is why people sculpting a lot will stay with Zbrush and 3D Coat as they can work faster sometimes.

3 Likes

Sure… but the point is, most areas of blender are more or less well covered by full time devs already, unlike the sculpt mode…

Good question… :thinking: but I guess nah…

1 Like

Not saying I’m against more sculpt development, but rigging, animation or anything sim related didn’t get much love either lately.

I think Blender sculpting is in a much better shape compared to a lot of other areas, when looking at other packages. Had to do some sculpting in maya the other day, that was interesting after using mostly Blender at work nowadays. Makes me appreciate sculpt mode a hell of a lot more. :smiley:

Looking at Joe’s sculpt dev blog post I’d say the goals are reasonable for this year, fast pbvh drawing, color attributes and mayhaps multires at one point (?) are already big steps in the right direction.

7 Likes

Not everything is perfect, of course, but still… :wink:

I really think the BF should have considered giving sculpt mode some extra love after Zbrush got bought by Maxon. At least one more dev for God’s sake…it’s like there’s some unwritten rule where there can be no more than one dev working at sculpt mode for longer than a couple of months (I don’t know how many months we had both Joe and Pablo, but it wasn’t many).

4 Likes

Exactly!

4 Likes