The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I am aware of the changes in the 2.80 master. I just meant the general feeling of this particular branch regarding surface/brush interactions.

Oh my goodness… :man_facepalming:
I’m really disappointed with the UI team… No words…

William Reynish has been working on the sculpt UI to place more emphasis on organization and context.

He is still working on it, what you see in the current build is not done and he’s already reversed a couple of changes.

2 Likes

Does he ask for feedback from actual people who work with sculpting or painting? Because the last changes he’s committed to the UI of Sculpting and Painting (especially the whole one brush per type) gives me the impression he doesn’t.

2 Likes

thats a good one! :rofl:

One thing I wish is that they change the default curve profiles and the fov (for sculpting). I wish somebody ask for opinions about these issues for sure. Bugging these most likely will tagged as feature request.

What’s the alternative, William making a thread for every commit (or group of commits) he wants to do, and then waiting a few days for the community to discuss it at length (so as to end up with an “approved” or “denied” verdict if it even got that far)?

As for the wasted space, that could be resolved either by petitioning the devs. to implement a responsive grid-layout system or by simply making the property window a bit narrower. Please remember that us users are not entitled to see the 2.8 workflow and UI in their final state until the beta period ends.

2 Likes

If ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
Feedback is important, specially for stuff you’re not familiar with.

The old sculpting panel was ten times better in every aspect than this thing we’re seeing now.
This is a mess now. Poor brushes workflow, non-sensical organizaton, oh man…

And btw, that right alignment layout is a disease.

There was a project to fix this “right alignment” nonsense, too bad we got no more news on this.

2 Likes

He should at least get a feel of what we do need by asking for suggestions and then apply the knowledge he has of UX/UI on top of that.

As it is right now, it seems he’s doing the other way around, and it’s not working, at least not for Sculpt users. Seriously, it looks like he never sculpted or ever talked to someone who did in the Blender Institute. Either that or the sculptors there are shy about giving suggestions of what actually works.

1 Like

I gotta say for once I entirely agree with you. It really seems like some things (not all things but some) are changed for the sake of making them “prettier”, when what matters to anyone actually using the software is… well, ease of use, logical grouping of stuff, readability…

2 Likes

I mean… you’re not wrong, but can we avoid turning this thread into another UI whine-fest? there are plenty of others available, and it’d be cool if this thread could focus on Pablo’s work.

5 Likes

Hahahaha, the UI team strikes again.
This will never end, unless a new team take over.
So there’s nothing we can do.
Sculpting in blender is becoming harder and harder each time the UI team touches it.
We’re doomed.

It sure looks like it’s going off the rails with not much on Pablo’s work.

Here is what will happen, various sculpt users will start a new round of dev. bashing and then wonder why a number of them dismiss BA as noise (which then hurts their ability to give feedback).

Right now, it’s mainly William doing anything UI related, the rest of the team is hard at work fixing bugs and shoring up other features.

2 Likes

Mask tools: Fix crash with dyntopo and lasso mask
https://developer.blender.org/rB55d482bf405076bb2715072f67e5c15edf5bee92

1 Like

I check it out daily. Thanks for the builds.

1 Like

Thanks for the builds @ramboblender!

1 Like

You’re doing a great job with those builds. :+1:

Those curve presets looks quite nice :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1108495365773373442

5 Likes

Wooowwww!!! Can’t wait to try this out! Thanks for the builds, @ramboblender!

As far as the UI discussion, I wonder if Pablo himself could take a pass at it eventually. He seems like he’d be a great person to help guide a usable and intuitive interface. I wouldn’t mind adopting whatever makes sense to him since he seems to have a pretty good handle on sculpting :slight_smile:

I can understand the desire to add more presets (inverse square and sharper).
But except that, sincerely, I see no benefit for new versions of already existing presets.
Result gives a stroke smoother. But it does not look to be more faithful to corresponding curve.
If my goal is to increase spacing to obtain a series of dots, old presets are giving a better result.
Smooth_preset

And there are obvious bugs with Clay Strips brush. New presets are scattering peaks, artefacts or destroying faces.

IMO, it would be more satisfying for everybody if users could register their own curves as their own presets.
Because If someone is not satisfied by old presets or new ones from Pablo, there is no improvement for him. He is just dealing with more unsatisfying presets.

4 Likes

Please, please, PLEASE add topological move/grab. I don’t understand how anyone works without it.

8 Likes