The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

should they add a new monkey?

DqdGvpVWoAALArj

4 Likes

@Musashidan @julperado
For the base meshes it should really be focused on the bare essentials. Objects that are a great starting point for your own projects.

A fully rigged character would be fantastic for the demo files page. There we can share anything that is more specific or optional to download.
So if you’re interested in rigging the character to share it, we can add it to the Animation section, so others can use it for their animation work :wink:

@kkar

You mean deleting all geometry outside of the drawn selection? That’s not implemented.
Wouldn’t that be kinda dangerous?

9 Likes

Well sometimes it is just easier to remove portions that way when the area to remove is much bigger than the drawn area of the reverted area. The line project has a flip option, it would be nice to have the same “f” modifier for the trim brush in my view. It could be as simple as flipping the lasso edges and fitting them to the viewport edges.

I see the issue can be complicated but imagine this, you have a head model and you just want to keep the nose and remove everything else. It is much easier and precise to draw a smaller area than a larger lasso, else you need to do it in many chunks which sometimes is error prone with the trim brush.

2 Likes

Great to see the essentials package taking shape! I agree with the others, stylized meshes would be a great addition.

Are some of them going more in the realistic direction? Depending on the deadlines I’d be happy to do an inner mouth/teeth/tongue, hand/foot or an eye for example.

Maybe if there was a list of sorts people could just make whatever they feel like doing from it, and the community could vote, than you guys at the HQ make the final call?

For the character, it looks like the eyes are too small, I’d definitely shift a couple 5poles, especially that on the upper lip near the modiolus, would probably add a couple loops to the forehead so it doesn’t need to rely on maps for wrinkling, and that ear could use some topo love (no antihelix currently)

Cool to see some movement in this area. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If the essentials library is going to be a thing, keep in mind that in my opinion, I would rather not face the possibility of downloading a gigabyte or more (zipped) of just assets whenever I fetch the newest build from the buildbot. Perhaps the fully loaded asset library can primarily come with the installer version of the release builds?

Also keep in mind that the assets should be something that will not result in parents taking the unprecedented step of censoring the software itself before they feel it is safe for their kids or teens to use it. In short, ideological or political expression should remain the reserve of what is created with Blender and not what is shipped with it.

1 Like

Ok that sounds good to me. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m going to have a look for that Max file now. It’s somewhere on a 10 year old desktop I have in the PC graveyard. I’ll let you know if you’re still interested.

3 Likes

Good idea. Might be worth splitting off a dedicated thread.

2 Likes

I can’t find it on Gitea, but iirc William Reynish’s original proposal had a limit of only like 50mb.

Edit: granted that was proposed back for 2.8, so maybe things have changed -shrug-

a-Vth1xOpQlZJ-Lb4zmnTaenJobiN5ZUmuUstVgoZws

When from now should we report a missing person?

5 Likes

Sure, let me know when you got it

1 Like

It’s true the essential assets should be light weight.
So important factors I set for the base meshes is:

• Even quad topoloogy for sculpting
  • No open boundaries so voxel remeshing works
  • UV map for immediate texturing
  • Face sets for fast posing and reshaping
11 Likes

multiple subdiv experts have told me many times in the last few years to not take the polycount of suzanne as an inspiration/guide/example for how much geometry you should use in good subdiv work. They say they would use much more faces to make a stylized monkey. I suck at modeling so I don’t really know what to do with that information or if it’s even correct.

I would like this built into blender for material testing:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/sculpt_paint/sculpting/introduction/general.html

Maybe it could be an addon that replaces suzanne with this head and adds another entry for the whole body in T-pose and then another for this pose.

11 Likes

yeah suzanne is suzanne when subdiv appplied from its low poly, but for a detailed and stylized suzanne like that one definitively needs higher polycount for the low poly…

1 Like

Funny… I would prefer it to be a separate download actually…

6 Likes

Well, my rationale is that those who actually install Blender (which means release builds only) would expect an app. that is packaged in a ‘digital box’ (like Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, and many other apps). That means coming with assets and other content other than the select group of addons we already have.

C4D’s massive content is actually a separate/optional thing… You download it within the app, but it’s up to you if you download it or not… The app itself is relatively small and run fine without the assets…
That way there’s more freedom. The assets size could be huge but blender itself would remain small and hassle free to download…

assets.blender.org :wink:

9 Likes

Definitely. I think modern companies should have an eye on things like that for environmental reasons, especially companies with such frequent product updates like blender.

So an internal bundled download could be indeed be a userfriendly discoverable solution or the having linked assets with just icon preview that are in fact “remote” and just get downloaded individually if needed.

4 Likes

This all ties into having Asset Manager libraries be On Demand, meaning assets are only fetched from the source (if not local) when requested, possibly through a Fetch All command. Then asset libraries can be updated remotely, and don’t take up space locally unless necessary

6 Likes

@thinsoldier It’s true that the monkey primitive mesh is not a good example for a good topology.
It’s actually often used for testing as an example of a bad mesh :smiley:
It’s mostly there as a nostalgic mascot.

The new design was created as an updated Suzanne Award trophy and gift to some employees who are part of Blender for a long time.
So it’s unlikely that it will be publicly shared any time soon :wink:

@TheRedWaxPolice @Ace_Dragon A separate asset library to download would be ideal for a bigger base mesh pack, including existing multires levels.
But true, eventually the best way to expose these asset packs would be within the asset browser as a direct download.

The “Essentials” are just meant as the bare minimum that helps users get started.

5 Likes