The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

If it could be implemented like the new SDF editor from the OP, then it would be a great modeling tool, offering the possibility to blend and cut 3D shapes in real-time, along with automatic material adoption. I can also imagine it could be very well-integrated into Geometry Nodes to generate deforming models for animation / motion graphics.

Right now you can already use the Remesh modifier in Voxel mode, combined with a Boolean modifier, to achieve similar dynamically updating results, but there’s no automatic material / vertex color adoption in that, and no fine control over the shape blending, to name a few things.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! That sounds interesting!

I can totally see it being another modeling mode, besides edit and sculpt mode. Though, it would likely need to be destructive. Geometry Nodes intuitively seem a very good fit indeed!

When I watched the video, it somehow felt like precise Metaballs. It might offer another kind of flexibility that doesn’t exist in Blender yet.

2 Likes

Yes right, totally forgot about that, I never really used MS Paint 3D, disliked it far too much. But yeah, I see it as you, such a little roughout doodler like teddy could have been really nice in a more evolved state, so cool thats in zbrush now. :smiley:

1 Like

Just read a very interesting article from an Oculus Medium dev from 2017 and it turns out that SDFs have been an integral part of Medium since back then. :smiley: Medium uses a very clever ‘Transvoxel’ system that dynamically translates voxel mesh triangles back and forth through signed distance fields.

They first developed the technique working on the Kelvinlets-based Move tool(Elastic Deform tech in Blender) The move tool in Medium is amazing, because it’s completely unrestricted 6DOF movement in a true 3D space(VR) Being able to move behind/over/around/back/forth while using your wrist action to twist and bend in 3D space really has to be experienced to be believed.

SDF in action…

7 Likes

Added two new SDF Edit demos to the initial post. Exciting stuff!

This looks cool. Reminds me of Organica by impulse inc in the 90’s.

2 Likes

I do see that there are some testers of the app in the columns of Twitter… is it uploaded somewhere so that it may be downloaded and tested?

I believe the current alpha is closed. I guess the developer asked a selection of MagicaVoxel artists to try it.

I’d also love to have a go at it.

2 Likes

Added a fourth SDF Edit demo to the initial post.

As Twitter user Hispano 2K12 shows, SDF Edit is also very suitable for hard-surface modeling:

7 Likes

Nice software as Magica Voxels, with it’s own niche usage.

Other good voxels rendering but real time

Full Water flow and physics

2 Likes

The first version of SDF Edit had been released! It’s now called MagicaCSG.

http://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=magicacsg

I had just been offered the closed alpha version by the developer, but he decided to release it publicly today. :+1:

Search for the #sdf_edit and #magicacsg hashtags on Twitter for info and examples.

4 Likes

Great! this I need to test. Thanks for the heads up. :+1:

1 Like

Here’s my first little MagicaCSG experiment. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Is there not any exporting way for the objects created insinde the app? I searched but I did not find any way to export them.

Btw, the app is highly promising. It seems very stable too. Offspring of a very dedicated work.

1 Like

There are no export options yet. It’s all very preliminary, but very promising.

2 Likes

I started a subreddit for MagicaCSG. Everyone’s welcome to share their art and discuss:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicaCSG/

3 Likes

Nope, it doesn’t work. It starts but does nothing.
Task manager shows the app is running. Oh, well… :pig_nose:

That sucks. It might be blocked by your antivirus. I had to solve some issues with Windows Defender before I could start it.

1 Like

My second MagicaCSG exploration of today: a toy spacecraft concept. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes