The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

Quick bunny cube.

Adventurer

Easy concepting

MagicaCSG is fun and very simple friendly 3D creation :+1:

7 Likes

That’s what I first thought. I only have win defender, no antivirus. Did you remember what you did?

Nintendo land Metroid

2 Likes

Made a tiki totem in MagicaCSG today. :moyai:

10 Likes

Main issue is blurry objects.

MagicaCSG, objects automatically merging looking blurry, also between layers

Medium sculpting software, hard surface , no blurry objects.

4 Likes

For Linux users, Windows binary seems to work very well under Wine.
Anyway, I hope that there will soon be native Linux binary or at least the sources to build.

1 Like

Nice work!

I’d appreciate it if you could post your feature suggestions to this thread in the MagicaCSG Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicaCSG/comments/niik52/share_your_magicacsg_feature_suggestions/

I’m planning to notify the developer of that thread.

The solution is to increase the scale of your objects. Like with voxels the resolution will increase.

• First the sculpting space is limited, you can quickly be out of bounds (picture below showing mirror space limits).

• No matter objects max size, all objects merge between others and layers making blurry edges
    (even at “0” value like in picture below).
    No merge between layers or objects, and resolution change options are a must have,
    if your goal is hard surface objects like 3D coat or Zbrush

I don’t think we should ask for specific things MagicaCSG or Magica Voxels are not intended to do.
For precise hard surface work and rendering 3D coat or Blender for example is the way.

While other workflow requests could still be valid :smiley:

2 Likes

Really, there is a need for resolution increase of the building blocks (I do not know if they are achieved by use of meshes or some other computational way). This is the most needed thing, maybe, on the whole app (and an export option of course). But it is a very promising app in general, no doubt. Hope that its author will continue developing it.

Below is a first try to build something with it (the background colors are put by after editing):

3 Likes

Strelka.

Need 3D engines to support such level of detail :joy:

Must needed features

• resolution adjustable per object, layer or sub tree

• Sub tree or sub groups we can copy , paste and transform, without workflow is too slow.

• Duplicate objects or sub tree objects as array along axis or screen view.
    Press some key to add more copies ( easy fast PS4 Dreams like )

• Radial axis symmetry

• Curve bezier objects , 3 or more points, scale and move individual curve points (3D coat like)

• No merge option adjustable per object, layer or sub tree to avoid blurry merges

• Make your own library of ready to place kitbash or sub tree objects

• Like Zbrush Insert Mesh brush or (3D Coat)
    Place objects or objects sub tree on mouse click on surface clicked position oriented to normal
    ( then adjust rotation and scale moving mouse).

• materials per object or sub tree

• More material parameters missing
    Emissive
    SSS
    Transparency

• export to polygons choosing resolution

5 Likes

Wi-Feye robot character concept :robot:

7 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicaCSG/comments/njrj31/strelka_weapon/

2 Likes

If you’d like to expand the SDF workflow, be sure to check out Clayxels for Unity. I’m currently watching a number of YT videos about it, and getting warmed up to try it.

─ Edit: Oops, sorry, just realized you had already advised Clayxels earlier in this thread. :blush:

Do you also know Mudbun? I wonder which one is better: Clayxels or Mudbun?

Metin I do not have Twitter or Reddit (and I do not want to add them too to the so many other subscriptions that I already have :sweat_smile: ), so I have not a means of communication with the author of SDF app. If you have such a connection why not inviting him to give a look at the thread here, so that he may be informed about our discussion here?

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this thread in a tweet to MagicaCSG’s developer Ephtracy a few days ago, but I don’t know if he’s actually read it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very similar.

But Clayxel is aiming to performance , new shaders possibilities.
Clayxel author seems heading towards PC full Clayxel games possible.
PS4 Dreams like, no bother about UV or LOD, so fastest game content creation workflow.

Also it depends on what you need.

1 Like

Installed Unity and Mudbun today. I think Mudbun is nice, but Unity feels like a bloated package with a dated UI, and I’m always disappointed to once again discover that you can’t customize view navigation controls. It isn’t possible in Unity, not in ZBrush, not in C4D, not in MagicaCSG, etcetera, while view navigation is one of the most important factors to ease switching between editors.

1 Like

Clayxel author had to deal with Unity different rendering pipelines, will only support one and latest.
I guess he should support Unreal engine, same shaders work, but less struggle about rendering pipelines.

I will find it interesting when Clayxel or Mudbun will allow to make full game content static and animated with good resolution and performance.

Meanwhile, the best is to wait MagicaCSG polygon export, you’ll be able to use models on Blender, Unity, UE5 or whatever.

1 Like

Two things are needed mainly in SDF app, as a further step… the first is a way of increasing-decrasing resolution and the second is an export ability. Having those two means in his disposition someone can already do many things with it. It is already a powerful app. Despite its simplicity.

2 Likes

Conefrontation :icecream:

My latest MagicaCSG experiment.

Inspired by a Sébastien Le Divenah concept.

23 Likes