The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

Does that allow you to combine arbitrarily shaped meshes, or is it confined solely to using primitives?

Either way, it looks neat as hell, and I’ll be using it Day 1.

1 Like

This one will be in the new version that’ll be released this weekend:

https://twitter.com/ephtracy/status/1639080812321685505

But you’re right: it’d be great if the other features would be (re-)added as well.

2 Likes

I’m also keeping a close eye on the add-on’s developments. It might mark my full return to Blender. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are a few things I’ll have to see first though, such as:

• How will the performance of the add-on be when you’ve got 100+ elements blended into each other? (which happens often in my MagicaCSG scenes)
    After all, the add-on is written in Python.

• How will the quality of the meshing be? This is necessary to do anything else with the result in Blender, including rendering with Cycles.

• What you can create with it will remain relatively basic until there are SDF curves with variable radius. Curves are especially important for organic modeling.

3 Likes

Hehe that’s what she said the zbee fan boi :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

It’s still hard to gauge exactly, but he posted a video 20 hours ago that shows him running a subtraction on a fairly complicated model without a single hiccup. It’s promising.

2 Likes

It will be available on Blender so unlimited possibilities, like converting to triangles and using with other polygon assets, or using Blender animation system.
While Blender interface is not beginner friendly as MagicaCSG, but someone could make a Blender version doing only boolean modeling using the new package system.

7 Likes

Yes, although the add-on coder will need to include a meshing option, as SDFs are completely geometry-independent math functions. But given the fact that the geometry already displays correctly in the viewport, that shouldn’t be a problem. I assume the coder will use Blender’s built-in OpenVDB mesher, if that’s accessible via the API.

3 Likes

There’s something odd about our new goldfish, darling. :fish:

Modeled, colored and rendered using MagicaCSG.

12 Likes

:left_speech_bubble: :cat: - Meow?

:shark: :speech_balloon: - Come on in, the water’s fine!

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist rerendering the fishbowl in Blender, using Octane Render:

2 Likes

Hi Metin,

Did you try Womp 3D ? I’m fan of online apps, but it looks like another cool modeling tool similar to MagicaCSG

Fortunatelly Blender will get such plugin.

Thanks! Yes, I signed up for Womp when it had just launched, but I disliked the resulting e-mail spam, and I believe Womp also didn’t work with the Edge browser at the time. :smirk:

Besides, I think MagicaCSG is still ahead of Womp.

1 Like

Blender has already similar modeling using metaballs, but no symmetry or use some geometry nodes trick.

Fortunatelly there is two features we’ll get

• Blender 3.6 voxel for geometry nodes, so there should be plugins to get same workflow as MagicaCSG.
  • Someone is making a plugin for Blender similar MagicaCSG workflow

This simplified workflow is great for fast cartoony models style and it is very fun compared to other workflows, while it’s easy to make models variations tweaking volumes.

But you won’t make your best models using only this workflow.

With new Blender features and plugins we should be able to quickly make base models with CSG like modeling, then convert to mesh and switch to common sculpting tools for modeling.

3 Likes

Check out this post for info how to mirror and array Blender metaballs:

2 Likes

My latest MagicaCSG works, modeled and rendered in MCSG:

Malware illustration

Liquid healing

8 Likes

The development on this program is so impressive. I wish it had a VR mode.

4 Likes

It looks amazing!

1 Like

Added a YouTube channel with MagicaCSG workflow videos to the initial post.

2 Likes

Retro-futuristic interior design. I’m a stylized character modeler, not an architectural visualizer or interior designer, but it can be fun to explore other visual disciplines. :slightly_smiling_face:

Modeled and rendered using MagicaCSG.

9 Likes

Place a frontal camera and you get a '70s Kubrick shot :wink:

1 Like