The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

:blush:

That’s way too much honor, but thanks! :blush:

I’ve made a roundup of available SDF-based modeling tools at the moment. Please feel free to reply with additions.

:point_right: This list is updated at the bottom of the initial post.

9 Likes

small correction on the above excellent List;
Substance 3D Modeler is also availbale on Steam as a perpetual version.

Apparently for Godot 4 (inside Godot);

3 Likes

Thanks! Added your input to the list.

I would add https://bartoszstyperek.gumroad.com/l/blob_fusion to the list :wink:

1 Like

Interesting, thanks. But it’s not SDF, is it? Seems more like a custom rig-based interface for Voxel Remeshing primitive shapes.

It is SDF -based only on two primitives - Sphere , and custom Capsule (that supports non-uniformly scaled endings). Voxels are required at the final step to my knowlege, for converting volume to mesh (unless u draw them with custom shader). I’m not sure if remeshing sdf, is not considered ‘real sdf’ though

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll add it to the list, as every SDF editor needs to mesh the SDF result before it’s usable in other 3D editors.

Updating the list in the original post from now on.

Don’t forget Medium. It’s essentially abandonware at this stage, but it’s fully-featured and free. :wink:

Also, the VR program Kodon has a ‘voxels room’, and I believe they’ve built a V2 of their voxel engine.

4 Likes

Wow, that looks so juicy. You can almost sense that virtual foam-like stuff. :smiley:

Thanks, I’ll add Medium to the list. That’s the also-SDF-based predecessor to Adobe Substance 3D modeler, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Yeah, Modeler and Medium are built on the same ‘Clay Engine’.

2 Likes

„Meep Meep?“

1 Like

radio silence from the dev lately, anything new in the works?

Someone in the MagicaCSG channel of the MagicaVoxel Discord told me that Ephtracy always has a low-activity period around springtime, then returns with new goodies. I saw that he released updates of MagicaVoxel and AerialOD, so let’s hope MagicaCSG will get an update soon now.

1 Like

Mobile addiction, stylized 3D illustration.

Modeled and rendered using MagicaCSG.

5 Likes

Nice!

Btw. you wrote something about an updated public version. Has that been published meanwhile?

1 Like

Thanks!

Sadly, no. I have no clue when a new public MagicaCSG will be published, only that a new release will follow as soon as MagicaCSG is out of beta.

1 Like

Ok. Was looking forward to it, it looks really promising. Thanks Metin!!

1 Like

I cannot wait for the Blender add-on. To me this has more value than an additional app.
Also for teaching purposes.

1 Like

Yes, I’m also very much looking forward to trying that. I do wonder how it behaves with tens to hundreds of objects, as it’s limited by Python speed. Up to now I haven’t been able to slow down MagicaCSG, not even with hundreds of objects, and the Blender SDF add-on demo videos so far only show a few primitives blended into each other.