The big MagicaCSG and SDF modeling thread

Ephtracy mentioned this about the new PLY importer, over at Patreon:

It seems that the new Blender parser doesn’t handle “return” character correctly.

I saw that the bug report has been closed. Can it be reopened, or do you think the discussed solution(s) will already fix things?

The fix has already been committed! It didn’t make it for 4.0.1, though, I think. Maybe 4.1 or 4.0.2?

1 Like

Practiced a little hard-surface modeling. Have an “Airpod”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Modeled and rendered using MagicaCSG.
Inspired by a Jake Parker concept.

10 Likes
2 Likes

A sneak peek inside MagicaCSG…

As you can see, a scene usually exists of a range of objects, each consisting of many SDF sub-objects (“Strokes”), added, subtracted and intersected. Love the puzzle-like element of SDF modeling.

6 Likes

I’m currently continuing to explore Clavicula, and I’m getting more enthusiastic as I start to learn the workflow. The available SDF operations are pretty cool. A number of them are not available in MagicaCSG.

Unlike MagicaCSG, Clavicula is also available for macOS.

2 Likes

My latest MagicaCSG thingy. I’m on a hard-surface journey lately. :slightly_smiling_face:

Inspired by a Matias Hannecke concept.

Some creation stages:

7 Likes

@Metin_Seven Do you know how to increase the display resolution? I’ve seen people mentioning the voxel resolution and rendering resolution but the weird quirk I see is that in a 4K display the software itself is rendering at a lower res.

In windowed mode it automatically opens at 1920x1080 as soon as the .exe is run, then I maximize it and it is somewhat blurry. The menus are ok, they get properly upscaled but everything in the viewport is somewhat pixelated and I don’t mean the voxels, even the checkered bg is a bit blurry. Do you know how to change the screen resolution?

I see everyone’s viewport so crisp and mine looks low res. I’ve tried everything, even power settings/management in a desktop and it’s still the same

Did you change the UI size in the MagicaCSG\config\config.txt file?

This is my setting (for a screen res of 3840 x 2160 pixels)…

view :
{
	ui_scale		: '2.5' // [0.5, 3.0]
}

For more refined SDF elements inside the 3D view, increase the grid resolution with the plus button at the top of the UI:

Hey thanks, I tried initially yes, is changing the UI there the same as using ‘ctrl +’ ‘ctrl -’?

Changing the first value (2.5 in your case) did change the UI size after restarting but changing the other values really doesn’t do anything, do you know what they mean exactly?

Testing right now I think the “fuzziness” I see might be the lack of anti aliasing or something under the hood that we have no idea is happening, like the voxel grid changing depending on the zoom level for rendering purposes.

Try zooming out all the way, the models should look better from afar but they look much worse when I zoom out, specially in model mode. Very curious.

:thinking:

There’s aliasing on all object edges in Model mode, that’s the nature of Model mode: for real-time speed purposes there’s no AA.

How is the quality in Render mode? Beware: in Render mode you’ll also see some jagged pixel edges, because currently the rendering resolution is fixed, and relatively low, so the rendering is enlarged to your screen size.

Also, if you use bright light sources, you’ll need sufficient grid (voxel) detail and a slight bit of material roughness, in order to suppress aliasing.

If nothing seems to improve the situation, it might be some kind of GPU screen drawing issue.

I assume you’re a Patreon supporter, so I’d ask this to Ephtracy over there. He’ll be interested in your issue.

I sent him a message a couple days ago, I’m still waiting for his answer but I figured maybe someone would know about this over here

I just took some screenshots just in case I’m not explaining myself too well. I took two screenshots up-close: One in windowed mode and full screen, and another couple screenshots from afar.

The object looks more pixelated when I go full screen and zoom out, it feels like the viewport just stretches itself to fit into the screen resolution instead of scaling up, maybe ignoring windows dpi or something along those lines because the pixels become bigger.

I remember reading the rendering resolution was fixed but didn’t think it would be similar for model mode.

Is this a bug? It doesn’t behave this way when you do the same comparison zooming out and changing between full screen and windowed mode?

I use plain vanilla nvidia drivers and never had glitches with other programs so I figured this would be some sort of thing inherent to the way Magica works

Here’s a closeup in PNG of the object when zooming out:

Windowed:

Full screen:

The first image is 167x147 pixels, the second one 341x287. That’s why I think it might just be stretching the viewport

I guess this is simply due to a minimum display resolution of the voxel grid. When you zoom out, much less pixels are available to display the voxelized SDF objects. I wouldn’t worry about this, as long as it looks alright in full-screen, and in the rendering.

My latest MagicaCSG model, a toy tank. :slightly_smiling_face:

Loosely based on a Matias Hannecke concept sketch.

10 Likes

Yeah It’s not a problem as I’m exporting the models. Oh I see so the voxel grid follows the camera position to generate the visualization?

I thought it was a voxel grid covering the entire work area at all times, with a fixed amount of voxels controlled by the Plus and Minus buttons in the UI.

I thought that was the case because when you zoom into a jagged edge of the model they are persistent in shape and size at all times from different angles. So I imagined that the voxels from the model were the same as the voxels used to generate the visualization, sort of how 3Dcoat does it, but in this case the voxels are created on the fly to adjust into the volumes generated by the primitives and then these voxels are used for graphics by smoothing out the normals.

For what I saw rendering in higher resolutions has been a big task for a while because of the challenges working with SDF, but didn’t expect the regular viewport to be subjected to those limitations given it doesn’t have to deal with physical shading.

Very nice models btw! Love this app

1 Like

I don’t know how MCSG does it, but in Substance Modeler the viewport uses lodding(like in games) It’s just a visual performance trick, but the voxel resolution isn’t affected, just the viewport rendering.

3 Likes

This might be able to open the door to a macOS version of MagicaCSG… :pray:

Three-eyed monster. :eye::eye::eye:

Modeled and rendered in MagicaCSG.
Inspired by a David Semple drawing.

8 Likes

As an experiment, I modeled a semi-realistic demon head using only primitive SDF 3D shapes. The second image shows a number of the 82 building blocks that are added, subtracted and blended in MagicaCSG.

I’ll post a MagicaCSG rendering soon.

5 Likes

Here’s my final demon head using purely SDF primitives in the MagicaCSG 3D editor.

The final head exists of 129 added, subtracted and blended shapes, and is rendered inside MagicaCSG as well. As a final touch, some texture was post-processed into the rendering.

9 Likes