The big retro computing nostalgia thread šŸ’¾

I started with a TI-99/4 Christmas of 1979. It was mainly used as a game playing machine: A-Maze-Ing, The Attack, Hunt the Wumpus, Car Wars, Munch Man, TI-Trek, and the text Adventures game. It had a cassette player as the only way to save data. The power supply went up in smoke around 1997. I kick myself now for getting rid of it, instead of keeping it to try to fix it. I wrote my own versions of A-Maze-Ing, The Attack, and Hunt the Wumpus on my IBM PC XT class machine in the mid-nineties.

I got an Apple //e in 1983. That machine is still going, though I did have to do a little work on it a couple of years ago. I played a lot of games on it, but I also used it to start programming: AppleSoft BASIC, Apple Pascal and eventually 6502 assembly language. I see Apple enthusiasts still make new hardware for it. Iā€™m considering purchasing some of that hardware to update the machine.

I occasionally run emulators of the two machines on my Windows machine.

2 Likes

Hunt the Wumpus was in a book of BASIC Games I used to copy onto an Apple IIe. The book had many, many pages of pure code. I donā€™t think I ever tried Wumpus because it was like 12 textbook pages of BASIC commands.

I also like to run an emulator to dive into some sweet nostalgia. A few years ago I had a Wacom Cintiq (sold it again as it was an ergonomic nightmare to me), and it was magic to run the Amigaā€™s Deluxe Paint (ā€˜DPaintā€™) on it:

1 Like

TI-59 Texas instrument 1979 and afterā€¦ I used it for statistics. There was a printer associated to the calculator and we could program printing of drawings made of stars, minus signs, etcā€¦ We could save the instructions onto magnetic cardsā€¦ Games came in 1980 when users did start to program instructions that were not officials and allowed for creating state of data entry to be processed and the result being printed. I did not go fare there. In 1981 I went to Cupertino meet Steve Wozniac to pick up an Apple IIā€¦ Just the box, no screen, no mice, no memory other than the one on the motherboard. I did learn Applesoft and got hookedā€¦ Finally I could program recursive matricesā€¦ The got an Compaq with green screen and running CPMā€¦ I end up with the Apple II with 6 drives stacked on the box, an extension card Prolog and one Pascalā€¦ Did a lot of simulation for economic analysisā€¦

1 Like

Well, I donā€™t think ā€œretro desktop gamingā€ is the right term, because itā€™s something completely new, itā€™s really a back to future from the past. Apollo OS is a New opensource operating system faithful to the old Amiga OS 3.1 and is also natively running on hardware based on the very famous Motorola 68000 processor on almost all computers and consoles of those years, so weā€™re still talking about some sort of retrocomputing, but it is also something new, Apollo Core 68080 is built as an evolution of them keeping all the legacy instructions and adding multimedia instructions and optimizations of modern times as what should have been the evolution of that type of CPU if it were not interrupted. In this particular modern times, its evolution and improvement is easier, even day after day by the community because it is particularly suitable to run on FPGAs that are programmable at the hardware level ā€¦ it is also having relatively exceptional performance compared to legacy hardware, consequently increasing interest and fun.
Apollo OS, is a fork of AROS an open source operating system that has been in development for 20 years that aimed to create a clone of the Amiga OS on x86 hardware. Then there was also the re-porting on M68k and the coupling between the Apollo Core CPU and AROS M68k led to the formation of a close-knit ex amiga community that gave birth to the Apollo OS fork, an OS optimized to run on these Apollo core cpu with ammx multimedia instructions (a sort of similar mmx that were for x86 cpu) being all opensource hardware and software has created a lot of interest among the nostalgic and the improvements are daily and exponential.
That of the ā€œRetro Gaming Desktopā€ is a consequence, since this OS has total backward compatibility with the applications and games of those times, and the Amiga was chock full of games being ā€œa gaming computerā€, this modern one automatically becomes an OS full of these games and applications.

1 Like

This game exited straight to DOS when you hit ESC. I it didnā€™t ask for confirmation or anything it just buggered off and you lost all your progress.

1 Like

Dont worry, I just replied to you by taking the opportunity to write better and explicitly what I wanted to communicate with the previous post that I had linked, you helped me understand that I did it wrong.

2 Likes

This ā€œof modernizingā€ retrocomputers is a really fascinating hobby.

1 Like

Ironically, what is now recognized as the first digital computer was made by Konrad Zuse, who first began developing his inventions (in his parentā€™s house) in 1935, and he applied for German patents as early as 1937.

Incidentally, based on this, I consider it quite impossible that Bletchley Park and others didnā€™t have true computing devices long before their official histories say they did. They simply had to be aware of what their colleagues, enemy and otherwise, were then doing. The lack of adequate random-access storage technology held back development for a long time, but ā€œnecessity is the mother of invention.ā€

2 Likes

For all those who have been passionate about the Motorola 68000 CPU that was present in most of these 80s-90s retro computers, I think you shouldnā€™t miss this interesting interview on the birth and development of the Apollo Core 68080
itā€™s Amazing.

1 Like

I love making lists, so I thought itā€™d be appropriate to post this list I made here:

:video_game: Favorite computer games

:joystick: Arcade games

Astron Belt

Daytona USA

Donkey Kong

Galaga

Midnight Wanderers (Three Wonders)

Ms. Pac-Man

Operation Thunderbolt

Operation Wolf

Out Run

Pac-Man

Pengo

Rad Mobile

Time Pilot

Virtua Cop

:space_invader: Atari 2600 games

Air-Sea Battle

Atlantis

Enduro

Ms. Pac-Man

Pitfall

Pitfall 2: Lost Caverns

River Raid

Yarsā€™ Revenge

:space_invader: CBS Colecovision games

Donkey Kong Jr.

Miner 2049er

Mouse Trap

Smurf

Turbo

Zaxxon

:joystick: Commodore 64 games (mid-1980s)

Agent USA

Aztec Challenge

Beach-Head 2

BCā€™s Quest for Tires

Blue Max

Bombjack

Boulderdash (1 & 2)

Bounder

Bruce Lee

Burninā€™ Rubber

Commando

Commodore Soccer

Crystal Castles

Frank Brunoā€™s Boxing

Ghostbusters

Ghosts ā€™nā€™ Goblins

Goonies

Gyroscope

H.E.R.O.

Henryā€™s House

Hunchback 2

Impossible Mission

Law of the West

Lazy Jones

Little Computer People

Mario Bros

Master of the Lamps

Monty on the Run

Oilā€™s Well

Pitstop 2

Rambo

Space Taxi

Spindizzy

Uridium

Way of the Exploding Fist

Who dares wins (1 & 2)

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Zorro

:joystick: Commodore Amiga games

Barbarian (Palace Software)

Barbarian (Psygnosis)

Battle Squadron

Borrowed Time

Clockwiser

Crystal Hammer

Defender of the Crown

DĆ©jĆ  Vu

Deluxe Galaga

Deluxe Pac-Man

Emerald Mine

Faery Tale Adventure

Flight Simulator 2

Great Giana Sisters

Hoi

Hybris

Ikari Warriors

Impact

International Karate +

Leander

Lionheart

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

Marble Madness

Megaball

Mindwalker

Nebulus

New Zealand Story

Pacmania

Phalanx

Pinball Dreams

Pinball Fantasies

Pinball Illusions

Rainbow Islands

Rodland

Scorched Tanks

Shadow of the Beast

Sidewinder

Silkworm

Slam Tilt

Speedball

Starglider 2

Stunt Car Racer

Super Stardust (AGA)

SWIV

Sword of Sodan

Test Drive (1 & 2)

The Pawn

Turrican 2

Uninvited

Xenon

Xenon 2

:video_game: Sega Genesis / Megadrive games

Altered Beast

Forgotten Worlds

Ghouls ā€˜nā€™ Ghosts

Golden Axe

Sonic the Hedgehog serie

Streets of Rage serie

Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)

1 Like

And hereā€™s another list I made, purely from memory (yes, Iā€™m a bit autistic :slightly_smiling_face:):

:man_technologist: History of digital wars

Atari 2600 vs Philips Videopac

CBS Colecovision vs Mattel Intellivision

Nintendo NES vs Sega Master System

Commodore 64 vs Sinclair ZX Spectrum vs MSX vs Atari XL vs Amstrad CPC

Commodore Amiga vs Atari ST

Sega Genesis / Megadrive vs Nintendo Super NES

Sega Saturn vs Sony Playstation

Windows vs macOS vs Linux

Intel vs AMD vs NVIDIA

iOS vs Android

Blender vs 3ds Max vs Maya vs Cinema 4D vs Modo vs ZBrush vs 3D-Coat vs Houdini

I remember how I loved this logo remake as an Amiga lover when all my friends was in to PC.

chrome_20201007_6085

Now it is true again for MAC users when Apple goes to ARM instead, funny how history is repeating.

1 Like

Haha, yes, I clearly remember that wink to the ā€˜Intel Insideā€™ campaign logo. It was used in several Amiga demos as well. :grin:

1 Like

My computer journey was this:

Commodore Vic-20
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga 500
Commodore Amiga 1200
(work wise here I was exposed to Apple, and didnā€™t like it)
IBM PC 486 DX2 66
Some fort of Pentium CPU PC
An endless list of PCs

1 Like

Commodore 64
Atari XT
Sinclair ZX Spectrum for home stuff
Intel PC with co-processor to do CAD/3D. No idea anymore what CPU or brand :wink:
SGI Indy
SGI O2
SGI 540 workstation (ran on Windows)
Intergraph Z workstation with Elsa Graphics
various HP workstations

Also a long list of self build PC configurations, dual CPU or not. Probably forgetting somethingā€¦

Never touched Apple for 3D, there was such a huge gap that it didnā€™t make sense. (Still doesnā€™t tbhā€¦)

Ahā€¦ Fiddled a blue Monday with Lightwave on a DEC Alpha. Man that thing was so fast for itā€™s time :smiley:

1 Like

I started my computer adventure with the TI 99/4A playing games like Parsec and TI Invaders.
tiinvaders tiparsec

As most home computers of this time it booted to a Basic console, so you automaticly started to tinker a little with Basic programming.

Then several years later I got an Amiga 500 and started to enjoy digital art. I loved to paint and animate using Deluxe Paint, I also used Fanta vision and Disney animation studio.

Games was of course a big thing as wellā€¦ I remember games like Speed Ball, Hybris, Double Dragon, Turrican, Shadow of the Beast, Leander, Wings, Escape from Colditz, Ghost n Goblins, Populous, Lost Patrol, Lotus Esprit, Super Cars, Rainbow Islands to name a fewā€¦
speedball

unnamed

Then I wanted to do my own games so I started with AMOS and did some small games, but realized that I prefer to do graphics instead of programming. So it ended up that I mostly did a lot of title screens for my games and no more than that.

In the early 90ā€™s I upgraded to the Amiga 1200 and started my 3D journey with Imagine3D 2.0.
imagine2
Then I started to use Imagine 3 and 4 on a PC. When I got my first job I saved my money and bought my last Amiga. It was a tower case with a 68060 + PPC at 233Mhz and a Picasso IV Graphics card with a 17 inch screen running workbench at 1024*768 resolution. I could run the Amiga Quake at more FPS and higher resolution then a modern PC at the time. (PentiumII 266Mhz)
At this time the Amiga was literally dead but I didnā€™t wanā€™t to realize that. Imagine and Lightwave and other big 3D apps for the Amiga was no longer supported and I bought Tornado3D that was the only 3D app left still developed for Amiga.

I think I only kept the computer for half a year and then sold it and bought a PC. Then I started using Lightwave3D and used it for 20+ years. And now several PCā€™s later and since about 2 years I use Blender as my main 3D app.

4 Likes

Wow, that screen gave me an instant flashback. I loved the Disney Animation Studio. It featured onion skinning before DPaint had it. Animated a lot of sprites for our games with it.

1 Like

So many memories here!

Mine are distant and somewhat fadedā€¦

I remember my dad getting a Binatone console back in the very late sixties, very early seventies. It had the good old simple classics like football, squash and tennis, all played with paddle controllers. Simple, but fun enough back in the day.

My first ever console was the Atari 2600 which I bought from Argos about a year after its release for Ā£150. I think that, as an 19 year old, I would have been earning something like Ā£40 a week, if that, so it was a massive outlay. At least I think that is how it went hahaā€¦ so long ago. Me and a pal would spend hours playing space invaders :smiley:

Then a mate of mine got a ZX and that piqued my interest for some reason. Eventually I got a C64. That would probably have been around 1984 as I seem to remember getting that around when it came out in the UK. I dabbled with some programming but without much success. As I was into creating music I delved more into the SID chip capabilities.

Then when the Amiga 500 came out I got one and I also bought one of them AMAS boxes so that I could connect it up to a MIDI keyboard/synth. I also remember trying to fly an F16 fighter for a short time. The most used program for me became MED and then OctaMED which are ā€œtrackersā€ for music production.

My first ever PC was bought in the early 1990ā€™s and was a 286 with a tiny amount of RAM and a 40MB hard drive. Also around that time I was one of the first in the department where I worked to start using AutoCAD.

The mid 90ā€™s saw us (I had two young boys by this time) getting a Playstation. Since then we have generally kept up with the PS franchise although I doubt weā€™ll be bothering with a PS5. All three of use much prefer PCā€™s for our gaming nowadays. If I do power up a Playstation it is usually for something like Gran Turismo or Project Cars but my steering wheel and pedals have been gathering a lot of dust latelyā€¦

My current PC is an i9 based thing but, as I use it mainly for music production, the graphics card is a lowly GTX1070 because it happens to be very quiet. If Iā€™d have known I was going to be doing more graphics intensive stuff I may have gone for something better.

So, thatā€™s me haha :smiley:

1 Like

Ha, ha, haā€¦oh, yess. I spent days copying those lines of code. As I remember some of them were in machine code, which basically meant typing pages after pages filled with only numbers. :rofl:
And the super simple little game you ended up with seemed like an enormous achievement. You really worked hard for it and deserved it.

I also did quite some graphics on the C64ā€¦with a graphics tablet called SuperSketch. The pen was fixed to a lever and the whole thing was very inaccurate. But wow, it was amazing to be able to draw freehand!!

2 Likes