The big SDF thread

Thanks! :+1:

So the priority of the Mac conversion hasn’t really changed since I moved from Windows PC to Mac. I don’t expect it to happen before sometime in 2027 if I’m honest. I guess Ephtracy is comfortable with the way things go for a number of years now: Patreon-supported, OpenGL-driven gradual development of MagicaCSG for Windows. And that’s OK. I’ll keep focusing on SDF Modeler, which I expect to be further developed this year as well, for Mac, Windows and Linux. :+1:

1 Like

I hope this WIP fits in here? Both the candle and the flame is SDF. All in Blender using geometry nodes.
The candle is a polygonal cylinder with some curve lines created on top of it radial outwards and then projected onto the cylinder, some random trim and then creating polygonal tubes of the curve lines which then is turned into SDF together with the cylinder. More or less at least, some extra noises for different things. This is fully animatable, will show you that one later if you’re curious ^^

The flame is first turned into SDF from the top part of the wick (which is just some curves converted into polygons), then I used a repeat zone to move the parts facing upwards a few times and each time remeshed again using SDF to make it smooth and nice.
Fyi a flame is only burning on the border between the gas and the air, so it’s hollow in the middle, but that border gets thicker the hotter it is which is why you can only see the kind of facing ratio edge lines of the flame towards the bottom. This thickness is what I catched using the SDF grid and then use as a emissive volume shader:)

11 Likes

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :+1:

1 Like

Subscriptions for the alpha test are now open! You can find the Google Form on my Discord server (link in the MathOPS topic). Maximum of 10 participants.

2 Likes

A minor notice: my post in this thread containing the SDF Modeler manual is converted to a PDF that is now downloadable from the SDF Modeler product page at Itch, so the post here has been removed to avoid two manuals at different locations.

I’ve also added the in-development MathOPS add-on to the original post.

@JohnKaz has released a ConjureSDF update. A new step in achieving feature parity with the old major ConjureSDF version for the former OpenGL-based Blender.

3 Likes

Finally !
SVG vector graphics import is now possible in MagicaCSG (Win)
with the latest Beta

If external SVG is modified, the imported SVG will also be modified
when you reopen the program and load the project.
Seems like a pretty nice Feature to me.

Like Bezier Polygon, SVG primitive has properties Bevel/Round/Hole/Shell/Cone.

Here a simple Test, SVGs were made with VectorStyler my main vector graphics app.
Text is also possible in MagicCSG you could use any Font for this.

5 Likes

Very nice, thanks for sharing. :+1:

Keep us posted please!

1 Like

of course, will do so :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The ability to import .SVG vector graphics into MagicaCSG can be used, for example, for all kinds of patterns in MagicaCSG.

Here’s a halftone pattern made with Vectorstyler; btw. it has
a whole Effect panel for creating halftone patterns.

ksnip_20260224-013049

3 Likes

Had some fun with SDF Modeler + Blender again this weekend. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Minext_lost has posted about plans to develop a custom Blender build that will allow for more powerful SDF handling.

2 Likes

Hey guys, just a headsup I released the raymarcher myself.

blender_N6A5WK10jL

It doesn’t introduce much on the layer of shading, it is still a GLSL renderer, though I tried to make it s nice to play with blender interface instead of fighting it.

11 Likes

:+1:

I’ll add it to the Blender SDF add-ons section.

2 Likes

Added A Recursive Algorithm to Render Signed Distance Fields to the Reference :arrow_right: Miscellaneous section of the initial post.

2 Likes

Currently beta-testing the new Chisel SDF add-on for Blender.

I like it. It blends (pun intended) into Blender’s UI / UX very well, comes with a very convenient quick menu, and features a custom ray-marching renderer, among other nice features.

Meshing of the SDF model is also very neat, using the Dual Contouring algorithm. And it works fine in Blender for MacOS. :ok_hand:

You can already buy it, but keep in mind that not every primitive / option that’s visible in this screenshot is available yet in the current release.

7 Likes

Meshing with adaptive detail is quite nice in Chisel.

7 Likes

The hippo made with the Chisel SDF add-on is finished. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread for a while. We’ve just released the teaser trailer for our game. We’re using Sascha’s SDF Modeler for all our hard-surface high-poly base models, including NPCs, weapons, architecture, and various props.

Here are some renders:

We do post-processing of exported models in Blender. SDF Modeler enables us to prototype and modify models rapidly. As a small team with limited resources, this tool is crucial to our workflow.

You can see low-poly versions of these models in the game trailer: SKARN - Metalbreaker

5 Likes

Looking good! I like the edgy style. :+1:

1 Like