The Canon Event

This piece is a heartfelt homage to every Blender artist’s beginnings and the iconic journey we all embark upon when diving into the realm of 3D art. At its heart, the donut represents the iconic “donut tutorial” by the “Blender Guru.” I believe the Donut Tutorial is the common ground where many of us took our first steps into the Blender. Thus, I referred it as our “Canon Event” which is inspired by the groundbreaking “Across the Spider-verse” movie.

About the artwork, I used assets from Kitbash 3d and Maxhay Art.
Here are the some other details from the artwork in case you missed it.

Here is the before and after of post processing.

Feel free to share your "Canon Events", thoughts, memories, and experiences in the comments below. Let's keep the Blender spirit alive and honor our creative roots!
7 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Really thought I missed this one. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Clever piece, both in execution and concept. Good work.

1 Like

@Maxdoucette @DomMcD

2 Likes

My journey with Blender began way before Blender Guru even existed as a website (version 2.33 in 2004), so the donut being the canon event does not apply to me.

Still, the overall theme is good, and the visuals are excellent, but it also gives the impression that the people are just pasted on top (since it is not clear what they are standing on or what they are interacting with).

1 Like

I dough nut mind hanging this as a wallpaper.

2 Likes

Honestly, it didn’t directly applied to me as well. Tho there was the doughnut tutorial when I started blender, I had never actually watched it. I only watched it after the geo nodes version came out. That’s why I added his comment below as an easter egg.
Yeah, so the idea is kinda like everyone standing on this ice or glass surface, and the buildings are like holograms, sort of like how things look beneath ice in real life. Totally on board with it. Thinking of cranking up the roughness to look more appealing, but gotta blur the details below the surface. Had to go with this approach, but seriously, thanks a bunch for the advice!

1 Like