The Case of the Disappearing Viewport (2.81)

I have upgraded to 2.81 stable. I started this file with the 2.81 beta two weeks ago.

I got pretty far into this design and everything was working great until I clicked out of my camera view with my scrollwheel and my entire viewport disappeared. If I click the camera view it all comes back. Click the wheel again, gone again.

This doesn’t happen immediately, but it has happened with three different files now.

I have reset settings to stock. I’ve uninstalled and deleted everything Blender on my computer, then reinstalled.

My sense is that this is either a “mode” I’m clicking in to and am just not familiar with. The reasoning is that, several times, when I’ve hit shift-c I get it back but I can only move my view around from a fixed point and not actually flying around - and - I can only see outlines of the objects. No, I don’t mean wireframes, I mean just the outline of the object.

I’m attaching two files. One right before the issue presents, and one immediately after. Hopefully that helps because I feel like I’m goin nuts!

Thanks!

New Bridge - Issue.blend (1.3 MB)
New Bridge - No Issue.blend (1.3 MB)

Render of what the view should be, just in case:

This has to do with a large clipping range you’ve set for both the viewport and camera. I’ve just reported a similar issue on the tracker. Although, tinkering with your file, it seems like this can happen even without the Auto-Depth user preference. But perhaps you could also add your experience there.

Anyway, to fix it in your file, change Clip Start and Clip End in both side panel -> View and the camera’s settings. For example, set Clip Start to something like 3 feet. Clip End probably doesn’t need to be at 3k ft either.

After changing the values, you may need to do a View -> Frame Selected before it starts working again. Looks like it’s a bit contagious, persists until you actually set the view to some sane value.

1 Like

You are a fantastic human. Thank you!

I updated the tracker with my experience with your workaround. Hopefully that will help.

Your fix worked with only the Clip Start being edited, followed by a Frame Selected. I’m not sure where the Clip End came from cause I don’t recall setting that at all. I did set the Clip Start really small but it was just a random number smaller than the default. I didn’t know that this was something to avoid. Still more to learn with Blender!

Side note: Even with that issue, Blender 2.80+ is fantastically better laid out and more intuitive than before. I’ve tried several times over the years to get into Blender with little success. This has been much more of a breeze for someone like me who comes from the 2D design world. Clearly still some issues and hurdles left but yeah. Having a community of users who are as helpful as you and not total snobs like many other areas of my field, well, that’s some pretty great icing on the cake (read: donut?).

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: