The citadel (Mass Effect)

Sooo…i’ve been doing this model, what do you guys think? What can i improve, should i make something on the background or i’d better let it as it is right now? (i’m afraid that if i put stars and all at the background it will divert the visual weight badly)

5 Likes

This looks awesome you should add planets or something like that if you need that in the,backround

keep it up…

1 Like

i’ll try it and see, but i want the citadel to become the focus of the image so i’m not sure. I’ve a planet earth made in blender, i could try to put it into the scene and see how it looks like, i’ll post it when i’ve some time…

Ok not saying you should put it but you can if you want looks good by itself, hope to see more from you

1 Like

As a big Mass Effect fan, I have to point out there are no planets anywhere near the Citadel in the lore. :smile:

Nice modelling, keep it up :vulcan_salute:

yeah, except at the ME3 when at the end of the game…ya know, earth… beside that… i don’t know how to improve the backbround…

Well yes, but I think we all agree we’d rather forget that ending :wink:

How about adding some ship traffic?

1 Like

i mean, this is a short project and should not take me a lot of time to do, so adding ships…i don’t know… i want to focus on the citadel…but well, i’ll see…

I’ve only played Mass Effect 1&2, but I think this looks pretty good. Some things that I like about your scene/citadel are the interesting material you’ve applied, and I also enjoy the bloom effect. I don’t know if this was intentional or not, but the eye is drawn to the brightest part of the scene, which happens to be roughly within the ‘rule of thirds’, giving it some visual interest.

If you don’t mind, I also would like to offer some constructive criticism:

-Your scene clearly has some thought put into it’s composition (you didn’t just place the citadel in the dead center of the frame), but the empty space to the left makes me think something belongs there while looking at it. Your scene and the citadel itself seem to be pointing the viewer to that space, but there’s nothing there. I think something minor, such as a backdrop of stars, or the glint/exhaust trail from a ship, would really enhance the scene and give it a feeling of existing within some sort of setting/space (literally :stuck_out_tongue: ).

-The bloom/flare looks nice and subtly highlights your object, but I would seriously tone down (or get rid of) the chromatic abberation. In my opinion it’s a bit overdone and is giving the scene a bit of a tilt-shift effect, making it look like a tiny object as apposed to a very large one.

Thanks for reading and I hope those points don’t come off as negatively critical.

1 Like

Add a number of ships so you can feel the scale. Like the Citadel has its own fleet of warships and in addition it is the largest transport hub of the galaxy. There must be very tight traffic.
And one more thing. In the game The Citadel was in a very picturesque place. Try to create something similar.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you both, i did not had time to reply before, i was at work, tough day.

I’ll try to model some low poly ships and see how it looks like the scene, the citadel is really enormous so the ships will be most likely like tiny dots surrounding the citadel. I could add a ship on the front but i want the citadel to be the protagonist on this scene. Anyways, i’ll try to make a few different compositions with the ships and we’ll see.

Regarding the chromatic abberration, i’ll reduce it a little bit, maybe there is too much of it, but i’ll keep it on the scene…i just…like it how it looks like : P

1 Like