The Cross of Christ (.blend added)

The render time was about 2 1/2 hours. I think there were over 5 million faces in the final render. All textures are procedural.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Clean3d/Clean3dArtwork/thecross_smallpicture.jpg

Large (1050*1500) version: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Clean3d/Clean3dArtwork/thecross.jpg

C&C welcome.

Thanks!
Clean3d

[edit] Here’s the .blend for the picture. I hope it’s helpful!
http://www.savefile.com/files/216372
[edit edit] The savefile .blend is no longer active, and I am missing the original file. I will update this post if I find it.

It looks very good, like an exhibit at a black and white photography show.

Why so many faces - because of subdivision?

excellent work, especially the texture… can you post a *.blend of the texture? Please.

S.

Displacement? Good job :slight_smile:

I’d have needed 24verts for the cross.
nice result though

Jacco;

Good job, the crown of thorns is a really nice touch.

Guess that you’ve used a great deal of displacement. That really adds to the image.
Simple, yet good. More contrast would make it a bit more edgy and stylistic, which
would be nice, IMO.

I can also relate the whole idea behind it, but that’s a different matter anyway.
Nice image!! :slight_smile:
//Mathias

oh. I didn’t notice the crown yet. only on the larger version.

Its a nice project but there’s not so much to comment on the model.

Three stars.

Jacco;

In our old church there was a robe that looked like the one Jesus would’ve worn draped over the cross. This is good too.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

@War: Yes, it was the subdivision. I had rendered one version and thought it needed a higher subdivision level, and I knew that would really increase rendertimes, so I just increased all the subdivision levels (rendered this overnight) and hoped that it would be done by morning!

@simhar: Thanks, I’ll see what I can do about a .blend. It probably won’t be posted until tomorrow, though.

@jackblack: Thanks! The back wall mesh is actually completely flat, and the ground is fairly smooth as well, so there’s a lot of displacement in this image. :slight_smile:

@Jacco: I’m not exactly sure what you mean about the 24 verts, but I’m glad you think it’s not just terribly done. I agree with you, though, it is rather simple in composition and content.

@Peasley: Thanks! I’m glad you like it.

@The M.h.p.e.: Yeah, I had to depend a lot on displacement because I’m too lazy to model the ground. You have a good point about the contrast, also! I may go back and do a tiny update there…

I also wanted to make an image that people could really think about and “relate” to, so I’m glad you thought that. Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

@Cyborg Dragon: Thanks! I thought about putting a lot of different objects in that were related to the Crucifixion, but I was kind of afraid it wouldn’t work out well, so I just left it simple.

A very simple scene but due to the impressive texturing work, I still like it a lot. I’m also very interested in the settings and procedurals you have used here.

Other than that, as M.h.p.e stated, it is a little monotonous and some more contrasts would help, I think. As far as the modeling and rendering goes, I have nothing to say and just want to tell you again - impressive work on the displacement :slight_smile:

very interesting. I’m not religious, but still find this piece very interesting. Nice comp and design 4 stars.

Very good…

@Myke: Thanks; I tried messing with the contrast yesterday, but it turned out that it would require more than a simple brightness/contrast filter in the Gimp, so for the moment I’m just going to leave it as it is.

@Framedworld: Thanks, I tried to keep the composition simple, but good. I’m glad you like it.

@free_ality: Thank you!

For the people who want to look at the materials, I’m going to add the .blend to the original post.

Bye,
Clean3d

Wow, impressive use of displacement.

Nice!

This is a great image. Very strong. Have you thought about how you might use it? I am thinking there must be Christian groups that could use an image like that.

humm pretty unique styled picture, and the effect on the cross is pretty interesting… I get this poster feeling from the bg of the pic…

btw dunno if you forgot it or something but there was a sign “King of the Jews” on Jesus’ cross I think.

I love this piece, I’ve been looking all over for fresh christian imagery (unlike the usual cheesy cliche stuff) this rocks!!

Nice work!

@Leichim: Thanks! Getting the background halfway good was probably the most difficult part of this image.

@3Distracted: Thanks for the comment! I’ve thought about it a little bit. If people want to use it, though, I might be able to put it under a creative commons license…

@toonist: Thanks, I made the image with the possibility of prints in mind, so I guess it’s good it had that “poster feeling”. :slight_smile:

I had thought about putting that and more in the image, but I got lazy and also didn’t want the image to be too complex; just a simple, well portrayed image.

@denshidan: Thanks! Personally, I really didn’t want my image to fall into a cliche, so I’m glad you said that. :slight_smile:

@spacestrudel: Thank you! I’m glad you like it.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!