The Dome

Hey everyone!! I’ve been straight up DISTURBED for the past couple weeks trying to make a large scale landscape. Landscapes at these sizes are such a learning curve because it involves so much more visual trickery than other forms of 3D. Detail and distance are all extremely limited by what’s actually possible in 3D software so it all has to be an illusion, wacky stuff but maybe getting my head around it. A particular artist named Aaron Westwood has basically changed what I thought was possible with landscapes, maybe I’ll reach his level one day. Definitely check Aaron out, one of his renders inspired this one HEAVILY. In terms of the technicalities, I made the mountains with Gaea, probably spent a good 2-3 days just experimenting and figuring out what does/doesn’t look realistic. Gaea is an amazing software and I can’t recommend it enough even if you just want to play around in it for fun. Trees are made by the genius foliage/tree creator Istwood, and grass from Graswald! Lighting is a blender sky texture for harsher light & HDRI to add some ambience. Rendered out in 4k at 512 samples, think it took around 3 minutes to render. Thanks for taking a look!!

18 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hey bart!! Appreciate that so much!!

1 Like