The Dynamic Topology Branch is here! Now in Trunk!

@StompinTom
Right,
I keep posting one doodle-sculpt every one or two days.
I also try to comment all your creations.
But with the exception of 2-3 friends, nobody comments my artwork here.
What bitching means? It doesn’t sound good.
I took my time to write my thoughts on possible workarounds after dynatopo implementation.
I tried to defend against this not so friendly behavior.
Bitching sir? My complains.

one question here for normal map and cycles

is not there a way to use a normal map (bluish) in cycles by converting it to a bump map
and is it not a good practice until we get the real thing ?

i tried it and i can clearly see the "bumps " in render !

anynone has an idea when normal map are coming in cycles ?

salutations

I think we all try to be friendly, people can easily misunderstand each other by talking in written Form, because of the the lack of tonality. This is maybe more heavy if people are writing in a language they only learned at school and get more frustrating if people don’t understand each other correctly. But that’s a phenomenon you can find in nearly every forum, especially in international ones.

@ michalis
Your artwork speak for it self, it’s stunning cool. Do you really need us to tell you? In a Place like this its maybe easier to talk about things that can be improved, instead of just saying how good a result is, because it feel more productive. This is part of our human nature.

I really like to see all the great sculptures here, I’m currently not at home for some weeks so I can’t play with this great feature by my self (Blender for Android would be cool for times like this).

In a Place like this its maybe easier to talk about things that can be improved, instead of just saying how good a result is,

Indeed so, this is what I’m waiting for. I mean it guys.
I started a doodle and spent six hours sculpting and rendering and resculpting it. In the end I was lost. Waiting for someone to make the most silly, the simplest comment. You know how helpful this may be.
So, I don’t need to tell me nice words. Some comments, even on anatomy, which I hate so much…
@RickyBlender
Any map can be translated to a B&W image. You will see bumps, you like them or not. But never some good ones. Not this way. IMHO.

@Michalis: Ok, from what I understand you simply want to have subdiv mesh with clean topology and UV map, shrinkwrapped onto dynatopo mesh. And the reason to do that is so you could sculpt on dynatopo and automatically get updates on shrinkwrapped subdiv mesh. Correct?

If so, I still don’t get why go through all these hoops?! o_O What stops you from make a sculpture, polishing enough until you are happy (as art is never truly finished), then doing conventional method of retopo and all?

Another thing is that you don’t have to do everything in Blender. Just like ZBrush only recently got vector displacement maps baking, Blender will eventually (I sure hope so) become versatile in all kind of things associated with digital sculpting and baking maps. Blender Foundation hasn’t shown enough interest in advancing that side of Blender though. So it’s a loooong way off.

Btw, xNormal is your friend when you need too bake good displacement maps.

Although I don’t know how it’s done in Hollywood, in the game dev world no one does what you are trying to do because it’s a waste of time. As I understand it, you are trying to “better off” Blender with this unconventional method of capturing details. However, if Blender will never have the method you are after, no on will loose sleep over it because there isn’t any practical use for it. Look at the galleries of industry veterans. Look at their methods. Every single one of them sculpts, retopo (without anything fancy like shrinkwrap), UV maps, bake maps, paint textures, renders or sends it off to 3D printing facility or sends it off to a rigger/animator. A lot of artists simply do polypainting in ZBrush and render (I believe same can be achieved in Blender with vertex painting).

And the reason to do that is so you could sculpt on dynatopo and automatically get updates on shrinkwrapped subdiv mesh. Correct?

wrong.

Another thing is that you don’t have to do everything in Blender

Yeah, I use other apps alright. But not now, we’re trying to stay in a blender based workaround as we’re testing. We have to remember this.

in the game dev world no one does what you are trying to do because it’s a waste of time

maybe. I’m also a 3dcoat user, an app dedicated to what game artists need.
But. I don’t really care, I have a completely different vision of the future in mind.
Clearly, I’m not a so called professional artist. Not of this kind.
Hollywood things are a lot more different. A very heavy, very precise displacement map is all they ask. That’s a PITA for blender.

A lot of artists simply do polypainting in ZBrush and render (I believe same can be achieved in Blender with vertex painting).

Indeed. Though not the best solution. But zbrush can handle 40M meshes for fun, on low end machines.
Blender can’t. I like vertexpainting. I use it in blender but for a kind of preview mostly. If I feel happy, I’ll try to paint a similar effect on UV maps. Have you tried to vpaint on a 2-4M mesh in blender? I did. LOL

Glad we keep talking, I have to ask apologies for being rude. But this may be a language barrier, I don’t know. I still believe that what I tried to describe is true and the right way to go. At least, please do your tests. You never know. I may be right.

@Michalis: You art is great. And Blender is good for what it does. But you can’t simply turn Blender in all-in-one one of a kind best 3D app ever which sets the tone of strange-innovative workflow for all artists :slight_smile:

I still have no idea what are you trying to do with all that. I don’t understand you. You don’t want normal maps, you don’t want decimation in MeshLab, you don’t want auto update of Shrinkwrapped mesh while sculpting the original. What is it that you want? Maybe making a screencast would really clarify things (showing us what exactly you do in Blender with what tools).

zbrush is $700 to expensive for most blender users,
especially when it has such a horrible interface.

Technically if you are using ZBrush to make money, $700 isn’t much at all. Would pay off with 1 or 2 3D characters made to order.

But you can’t simply turn Blender in all-in-one one of a kind best 3D app ever which sets the tone of strange-innovative workflow for all artists

I can’t. I’m not a developer. But I can keep asking for this. The lack of a well organized workflow is missing. Something that produces works of good quality.
When did I say that I don’t like normal maps? There are some disadvantages though. Especially on cycles.
Mehslab, no, I have it here but I don’t use it. I use zbrush and 3dcoat. I gave my money alright, I should use them.
I do. Zbrush is far superior and organized to blender sculpting. Not more innovative though.

What I’m trying to do with all that…
I’m posting and posting artwork… why don’t you visit my thread on finished projects topic? I did post some thoughts on sculpting. You don’t have to agree of course. I don’t give any"orders" or something, I had to read and comment on this as well.

I saw most of your work. I just don’t understand what do you need, besides high quality displacement maps, which incidentally has nothing to do with Shrinkwrap.

In my opinion this thread is about getting feedback about dyntopo, talking and showing what is possible with this wip feature, what kind of limitations exist and how the tool can be improved. It should be about helping Nicholas with useful feedback. I personally love to see the images and videos you all show here and I could imagine that it is motivating for a developer too, to see what people can do with the tool. But this thread is maybe not the right place to talk to much about the artwork itself, because it don’t help to improve the tool to talk about anatomy.

I can understand that an artist like and need this kind of feedback, but the artwork section is maybe a better place for this kind of topic.

Here we should try to help and motivate the developer by giving useful feedback and showcase what kind of artwork you all can do with this cool new feature.

I can’t imagine how many hours of work it is to develop a tool like this and how much motivation a developer need to do it, but I think it’s much more then the fun we have by playing around with it.

Edit:
michalis, maybe a link to your wip threads in your signature can help, I wasn’t aware that you post your images in a own thread too.

I saw most of your work. I just don’t understand what do you need, besides high quality displacement maps, which incidentally has nothing to do with Shrinkwrap.

incidentally, lol, it produces better and crisper displacement maps. I can prove it.
incidentally, it provides me with a multi subdivided mesh, ideal for more sculpting.
incidentally, my turn now, why to use displacement maps in blender when having a nice multi subd mesh with nice topology for rigging etc? 1 subd for preview, full subd for cycles.

this is my 2,222 post LOL
An idea.
Why don’t we start a thread, let’s say in blender tests topic, collecting all our dynatopo artwork there? Anyone can start it and I’ll follow. Not much talking, just artwork. It might surprises you that the majority of blender users haven’t realize what dynamic topology is about.

@Inspir3dArt
We don’t have much more to test.
Waiting for a new build, the lagging that starts after some polygons count is the major problem IMO. For the moment. A second issue is the dirt that “collapse short faces” leaves behind. A workaround is already posted but I expect a more appropriate solution from Nicholas. A third issue is the re-symmetry tool. It creates some dirt that it’s a bit more difficult to clean up. But it is an optional tool.
This beautiful tool runs already and can go into trunk builds. IMO.

Great idea. I would also like to talk more about dyntopo artwork, sculpting technics and anatomy in a place where this is the topic. We can maybe all learn from each other

Use xNormal for crisp displacement maps, straight forward solution. And use high resolution image for that too.

That really makes no sense. You either sculpt in Multires with Dunatopo disabled, or use Dynatopo only. You can’t have sub-d on triangulated mesh. maybe Nicholas can add support for remeshing Dynatopo and then subdividing it. Don’t know the underlying tech for Multires modifier works.

Do you really even bother to see how other artists do it? Do you even care how Pixar does it for that matter? Certainly they don’t do it your way.

That is a good idea indeed!

just goes to show blenders interface may have never been the problem…lol…I actually liked the old one better…meh…I also hate the ui from zbrush…double yuck!..what a pita too.

That is a good idea indeed!

Yeah, thanks.
So, motorsep, Inspir3dArt or anyone else, do start it. I will follow.
I do not give orders LOL. right? I won’t start it. LOL again.

Thanks man. I already posted some.
I hope, all of friends of dynatopo will follow.

if you have an object using dynatopo with a multres
where do you set the mirror for sculpting ?

and did anyone had time to test the free soft for baking ?

SMAK Normal map generation

Check this out… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_IcW_39MU

thanks