The Food Thief RIGG - Technical breakdown

This is insane, anyone can tell if this is possible in Blender? I mean without scripting.

I would say yes…

I know it’s not quite at the same level… but I think that https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/80471 proves all this CAN be done in Blender.

It’s good, but a lot simpler. It goes more about changing the shape of the cat, and controlers follow the mesh. Well, maybe there are more than one rig for this, or just many constraints, which then follow another ones. Good to discuss this a bit. Thank You for the link anyway :slight_smile:

Awesome rig. It looks like an updated version of their duplicator rig from years ago

I would love to see something like this in blender.

In all fairness, it’s highly, highly unlikely this was even possible in Maya without scripting.

This is one of the most flexible, complex and advanced rigs I’ve ever seen. A LOT of RND, like years of it, building off their Duplicator rig for Cartoon Network, went in to it.

Building your own version in any software would be a massive undertaking. But I hope if anyone does, they share it! I’d love to animate this thing! :grin:

1 Like

A quick experiment shows that armatures are not affected by lattices. And bendy bones do not distort bones parented to them according to their bend. I still believe this is possable - if you took the GOOMEK rig and added a mash of stretchbones attatched to 3x3 handles, and had the eyes etc parented to these bones via a complex , but with their rotation controlled elsewhere, while also combining a lattice modifier in there… or maybe not…

Infact, if you only need to distort the face, not the rig, then a lattice modifier after the armature modifier could add a lot of the stretch you’re after.

I was following along going wow - “that’s really good, but I believe it is possible”… then he opened his mouth on the side - mind blown…

…(reboots)… hold on - that’s a substitute mesh! That can be controlled by a driver!

The thing is, though, there are SO MANY parts to rigs like these, and as they get more complex, they need more and more debugging. I believe they ARE possible, but I really don’t have time at the moment to commit to building one.

2 Likes

If you ever rig something like this up… be it Blender, Maya or w/e I would love to use it! :slight_smile:

The beauty is it looks so simple, when you know some one spent days cursing at their computer screen before it was achieved.