The future of gaming

I completely agree. I love the great graphics, and part of why I like Blender is the Game Engine, but without any good plot there is no point in playing it. I suppose it’s also because I write stories that I notice this…

Bit off topic, but I do like games like Metroid where the plot is not in the game so much as outside, like Samus’ past.

Oh yeah, as I’ve said, I’m a Nintendo Fanboy and so I obviously like Metroid. It’s a good example for an innovative concept in the earlier days of gaming which was perfectly transported to the world of 3D on the Gamecube. Metroid Prime is really an impressive game while its successor wasn’t that good anymore - sure, it had better graphics, textures, models and stuff but all in all it was the same than Prime 1…
The same goes for stuff like Pokemon - awesome concept but after like ten editions it gets boring, no matter how many new pokemon there are =/
So, even here I see lack of new ideas and innovation.

I also agree that a good story must preceed good graphic

the greatest story to span several games would be the metal gear series

i dunno, and something that was said here about gameplay is what really concerns me, for real i am a believer or so, and i think that something like matrix isnt that impossible, so if we are going for realism, lets face the cards what is realism? visual realism? to me isnt enough, i was a videogamer addicted back in the 80’s, 90’s and it wasnt such a waste of time, but i dont know if that is really good for your health, i prefer to leave my children playing outdoors…

have fun

Well… I just got knocked out when I saw this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Unreal3engine-berserker.jpg/250px-Unreal3engine-berserker.jpg

It’s a technology demo from the Unreal 3 engine, check it out at wikipedia:

I know… having a bunch of these “pretty kids” simoultaneosly, will probabbly slow down the game as much as having multiple armature objects in the Blende Game Engine… (sorry, bad joke)… but still… I’m shocked! Imagine the possibilities!

Ya, I’ve spent some time going over those images from Unreal. They are high poly count, but not extreme high poly count. The most major thing about those characters and buildings is the time put into them by the artists. The normal/spec maps are new because hardware, and for that matter D3D, have just recently allowed them.

But when it comes right down to it, these models are mostly good art. Not extreme tech.

not really, it’s still a low poly model, yes more sophisticated, but the real magic on that model is a well made normal map (not bump map)… blender supports them(i don’t now how well they work)… I don’t know about blenders game engine

edit- sorry deathguppie, should have read your post better. you said almost the same thing