The Garbage Man's Salvation (scene page 2)

I went a little heavier on the grunge mapping, and I personally like it quite… I guess you may say bland… Like this =)
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/tt4-v1.jpg
Anyway, working on the scene at the moment

Here’s how I’m going so far on the scene, looking pretty good so far. So much more modelling to do, and then all the custom texturing and stuff
(one thing I can’t wait to do is to do the grime which will be rolling down the wall from the air conditioning unit to the right =P)

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/scene2.jpg

Comments on composition, models, sizes?

PS, the rendertime is starting to really annoy me =P Most of the models I have usually take like 5 seconds to render, the image above took a few minutes, and seemed to slow to an infinite recurring decimal when it got to the top of the trash can =P Hope my comp survives this!

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/scene3.jpg
This is where I’ve got the scene to at the moment. Crits or anything?
What I mainly need help/ideas with is the materials/texturing of the outer parts of the scene… I’ve so far just added a wall texture with grunge streaks down the bottom underneath the devices.

hm. hard to really make suggestions, because everyone does these things differently. so i suppose just follow the basic design principles. break down what it is you are trying to present. what is your focus? then build your composition around that. you have a focus, the garbage can. you have angles to present framing and lead the eye. you have elements to describe the place. you have lighting to set a mood. you are 90% done, now it is jst a matter of doing the other 20%. ( notice that artists don’t really do math? )

keep it up, your work looks great. this would be a good subject for a series of lighting and texture compositions, just to play around with. unless that gets boring.

jim ww

PS i really like the little monsters in your gallery. maybe almost to the point of inspiration.

Maybe a bit of trash lying around? I mean you hardly ever see a trash can without at least a little bit of crud around it. But it still looks great :smiley:

very nice. You should make the scratch map sharper. Now I see very big lines.

Jeff_A - I can’t really think of it as a yellowish orange lol. Hmm… I’ll have a go at it and see what I come up with

=======
Like that only a bit more yellow.

Well ya going to try it?

How about rust and lots of it?

Do you need an example?

It’s your scene but what I would do is make the walls metal plates.
Make them painted with heavy chipping showing rust .For the cans
I would do the same only use a color that makes them the focal point of the scene.Another thing that might be cool is a room number texture
on the wall.

Man, the quality of Blender work is going up at a very fast pace. It’s the AO, thanks DEV TEAM!!!

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/scene5.jpg
Improved wall textures, area is called Dock 17 and garbage bin’s lid is off with a piece of paper and a book on the ground. I also adjusted contrast levels in Photoshop, a brighter image, I personally like it more =) (only problem is that the noise has become enchanced through this)

jimww - Thanks, really inspiring post, and always good to be reminded on the finer points of composition. I found a long lost art book today which includes composition, going over it again for fun =) and lol about the artist’s and maths =P
And about the monsters, lots of people love those little guys, they were done in like 10 minutes each with no real plan, and it all began because I made one of those guys during a introductory Blender video for friends =P

mr_bomb - I’ve done a bit of ‘trash’, more like high society trash I guess… lol

Blendfreak - When you are talking about the scratch map, which one are you talking about? And if you are talking about the big streak across the middle of the trashcan in the corner that was purposely meant =)

Jeff_A - Added a “room number”, I don’t know why, but I always thought of it as a dock =) And the texturing, I only just remembered, so on my next few tests I’ll change the material properties.

mr_rob - I would not put the quality of work as improving only because of improvements in the code, as AO can be simulated by a large sphere of dupliverted lights (fake GI, search the forums), but it has made things a lot easier to setup. And iirc the majority of the AO code was created by Eeshlo, and improved by Ton and a few others later, so Eeshlo is the main man we should be giving our thanks to (although Ton was working on AO in the code, but his technique wasn’t effective yet as it had to be put in the main rendering pipeline, causing unwanted recursion)

hi just wanted to say this is a super nice scene already. looking forward to it coming along.

Hey … it’s looking great.
Very nice.

The numbers looks too big to me, too far apart and a little too close to the corner. Looks like they need to be moved up a bit as well.

Thus far rather boring, but I trust a later scene with a more interesting camera angle and composition will make it quite neat. Well modeled. I like it. Work on tex and mat.

[quote="Smerity
Blendfreak - When you are talking about the scratch map, which one are you talking about? And if you are talking about the big streak across the middle of the trashcan in the corner that was purposely meant =)[/quote]

I mean the bump map with the scrathces. Real scratches are much sharper.