The Garbage Man's Salvation (scene page 2)

See the future :o

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/tt2-v1.jpg

Garbage men unite! Your salvation is here! The techy trash-can!

Featuring -

• Automatic locking mechanism
  • Titanium outer shell
  • Antenna to broadcast when it’s full

insane cackling laugh inserted here

Well, for the project itself, it started off as a greebling project, to just load the whole thing up with as many crazy gizmos and gadgets as I could find.
Then, when I finished the majority of my modelling, I began texturing.
The main two things I textured in this are the weird little striped lines in the middle, and I created a custom scratch map which is now applied over the whole beast.

I plan on possibly doing a futuristic alleyway scene with this and at the very least just finishing off the material.

Thanx =P

is it for the BWC?

I really like it! I wont one, lol! This is great work :smiley: I have never seen such a detailed trashcan…

Fonix Wircs - Nope, haven’t participated in the Blender World Cup yet. Why? I thought the subject was tanks… Smerity starts imagining tank modifications to the American Military’s trashcans

Ataryu - Only problem is that they’ve got such good parts, by the time you’ve bought one it’s already been stolen for the CPU =P

Woah, now that’s a neat thing to have! But imagine if someone will have into your trash can’s system and turn it against you! :o

~Blade

This satelite realy does look a lot like a trashcan, indeed.

This is a very cool design concept. Excellent stuff.

BgDM

Funny idea, huge attention to detail!

Yo Smerf! Like I have told ya, groovy trashcan! I want one. :smiley:
The model is great, can’t wait to see more. Keep working on those textures!

Keep it up,

-Natron

hmm the subject isn’t tank…tank was the subject of my battle with alltaken…nothing to do with the world cup. The world cup subject is: prototype that will never be made

So go post it there now! :stuck_out_tongue: you still got a few hours!

bugger, the deadline is dead :frowning:

LOL

it would have been a good entry. very nice work

Alltaken

awesome garbage can! i want one.

blade - what do you think the military would want it for :wink: free sanitary services to third world countries

ThePatrickP - lol

BgDM - Thanks =)

Union S8 - That was half the aim, greebling, I’ve never been good at it, so I thought it was time to practice. (btw, for those not in the know, greebling was a term coined when the model makers did the underside of the Star Destroyer for Star Wars, and they just kept shoving weird little gadgets on)

Natron - Thanks man! =P

X-WARRIOR and Alltaken - Would’ve fit the topic perfectly lol. Too bad, it was 3:05 AM over here when you posted, and I had already retreated to bed lol. Thanks for the comments anyway

Modron - For the small price of $79.95, or two payments of $40, you could have your hands on this lovely piece of technology! Call 1800-GARBAGE now!
(Disclaimer - not legal in any countries taking refuge on planet Earth, postage and handling extra, assembly is required) =P

Here’s an update to the texturing, I’ve added a tiny bit of dirt, used some specularity maps, and added a very light reflection to it. A scene is coming up next =P

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/tt3-v1.jpg

Hmm… Does it need more texturing?

Well… maybe not texturing, but definitely some decent colours? :wink:

But that’s the things, what kind of colours go well on a rubbish bin O_o I don’t want green, which is the de facto colour down here in Aus, because that would look sickening… Help?

try some kind of brown. u know like in starwars :slight_smile: the speederbikes (dont know the name exactly :)) have a nice color. or the x-wings an other vehicles have a decent brown around the engines that would match I think…

funny idea btw :slight_smile: you could add another character, hmm… maybe a man trying to throw something away, and make a funny short.

How about a yellowish orange paint job with
lots of grim and some chipped paint showing rusted metal?

It’s an awesome model, I don’t think it needs much at all. The shaders could be oren-nayer blinn and have a higher rough value, and much less spec/hardness. It’s far too plasticy for a garbage can. Make it a bit sharper.

Second to make it look more garbage-canny make the top of model larger than the bottom. So the bottom tapers a bit. Maybe a bit taller too.

Otherwise excellent work.

try a mottled bare metal texture, like cheap metal siding. could give a nice surface detail, without sacrificing the design style. or maybe the look of an industrial enamel? try just a bit of cellular texture in the spec channel, for a bit of subtle variation? it really doesn’t need much, it is such a well built model.

any plans to animate it? i can imagine it just sitting, and blinking. and maybe a bit of vapour being vented off…

jim ww

This is a quick mockup of a scene I’m trying to go for,
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~smerity/scene1.jpg
(the pipes are REALLY placeholders, I did them like 5 minutes before I went to bed just to fill in that left corner. Oh, and of course Suzanne won’t be in final, god bless her soul =P)
I also constructed some chimney type stacks I want to get a nice shadow from for the end scene.

Chimera - Natron and I have discussed putting it in a short we are kind of planning to make, about a game, if any of you remember it, called Crusader No Remorse =P
And about the Star Wars thing, yeah, I’ve got a small brown map on it atm, so I may have to emphasise that a bit.

Jeff_A - I can’t really thing of it as a yellowish orange lol. Hmm… I’ll have a go at it and see what I come up with

Dittohead - Quite right with the oren-nayar blinn suggestion, still much work to go on my material. About tapering though, I don’t know, I don’t think so, it’s all a matter of design choice, and also, wouldn’t that make it hard to kind of load these things onto a truck (hover truck or no lol)?

jimww - Hmmm… Industrial enamel, sounds cool, I’ll have a shot at it =P About cellular texture, I really don’t like it, the algorithm for it is very slow, and has on occasion slowed down my renders heavily, but I do agree I need for variation in spec, atm it is only a cloud procedural for spec variation.