The Griever

I was amazed by the art direction in the Maze runner so I checked out the concept arts and I liked more the original concept of the Griever… I though it will be a fun project to do in Blender and challenge myself to go through all the workflow from modeling, sculpting, re-topo, UV, texture painting, rigging, animating, rendering and compositing.
By that time I was a bit comfortable with modeling, sculpting and rendering but I never seriously rigged and animated in Blender, well while doing this I learned a lot… how to do those stuff in Blender and how much I was underestimating Blender.

Kudos to the original concept artist KEN BARTHELMEY for his amazing work!
https://www.theartofken.com/gallery/the-maze-runner-21

Cheers!

111 Likes

Breathtaking workmanship and perfection :upside_down_face: :dizzy_face:

Thank you for sharing

3 Likes

Waou beautiful :raised_hands:

1 Like

@Jean-PierreBrachet Flattered! thank you so much

@Pix_Syp Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

@bartv Thanks a lot, you made my day! hope you have a nice weekend as well

2 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

@bartv Honored! thank you

1 Like

Great work! I also love the presentation and the sound design!

2 Likes

@BlindIllusionist thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow! It’s fantastic work!:heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

Amazing job! love it! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Beautifully made and creepy as hell!

1 Like

Awesome, the only crit I have is that the skin is a bit to waxy and the ambient light is flattening it too much.

Untitled-1

1 Like

@DinoReplicas Thanks

@Vetech82 glad you like it

@BigBlend Thanks, I agree. in the movie they made it very translucent and waxy, (someone who worked on the movie said on the youtube comment they wanted to see inside the body) which didn’t work well for me.
I wanted it to feel like a snail skin:
Screenshot from 2023-09-27 14-15-13

and those bumps full of greenish liquid specially by the legs thinking that were the organic legs were cut and metal was added caused bad scarring and constant infections!

when working on the Materials it was the very early days of cycles-X and it had a bug in SSS were if the color map is at a certain levels (dark) it will cut-off to pure black (picture below of an early render) and that influenced a lot my texture painting, mixing a cavity map was giving me a lot of artifacts. I didn’t want to go back on Blender version since i like to experiment with the daily versions on my personal projects.

that’s just the back story, but i still agree that there is a huge room for improvement on the skin (an SSS map )

2 Likes

Great work.

Great also for taking the time to document it and make the video. It will inspire and help a lot of people I think as well as showcase what can be accomplished in Blender with commitment and talent.

Those snapping teeth. Creepy.

1 Like

@Toka Thank you so much! and yes blender can do a lot, I hope and will be proud to inspire or help some people, cause other people inspired and helped me the same way.
for the snapping teeth… I was like how can I make this creepier?!! and the last scene in front of the zombie in the lab room from World War Z popped in my head :bulb: BTW, I recorded that with my own teeth :rofl:

1 Like