The landscapes (Advanced lansdscape shading) (NEW SCREEN OF NODE SETUP)

http://img463.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0314vl1.jpg
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/kansas15/0314_G.thumb.jpg
NOTES:
-Used displacement modifier to create the lanscape
-3 slope materials and 3 elevation materials used.
-Slope detection achieved in node editor.
-Trees made with planes and particle systems (raw polys would overload the computer)

Just wanted to demonstrate the making of a procedural lanscape with a node material that places materials based on elevation and slope. And I say again, with the node editor, slope detection is indeed possible.

I knew I needed a quick way for the trees also, so using some objects that are planes with a leaves texture I made a long time ago and particle systems, I placed a whole array of trees without manually placing them.

Looking great, thanks for sharing it. A video tutorial is on my wish list. However, wouldn’t a static particle system be better for placing trees?

/ Mats

-3 slope materials and 3 elevation materials used.--------------short tutorial on material placement and on handling alphas would be much appreciated.
-Slope detection achieved in node editor.---------------------------how?

Static particles tend to have lines of particles, I used an animated particle system with very low speeds. The trees are the way they are because the terrain itself has so many polys from subsurfing and I used a lower poly mesh for the trees.

-Slope detection achieved in node editor.---------------------------how?

Let me give you some hints, it deals with taking the normal input of a smooth material, and it involves a vector curve, mapping node, vector math node, and math node, then putting it as the factor input for the mix node for the two materials.

That’s very interesting.

The benefit the slope detection has over other methods is so you can use a node editor to texture your terrain similar to those terrain creators. Plus the way I did it, the texture that goes on the steepest slopes also go on slopes over 90 degrees, so you don’t have grass on the bottom of an overhang.

nice work CyborgDragon, I always wondered about that. How did you use the array to place the tree on top of the terrain?

Very nice “procedural landscape” picture indeed. Even you describes your workflow as quick way I am not really sure that I understand how this is was done. Short making of would be very welcomed :slight_smile:

Thanks 4 the trick, i think im gona use it later in my work. First tho’ i have to understand it, as my node knowledge is pretty much weak… Nice work by the way.

Love to see a tutorial!

I am curious too for the slope detection :wink:

carsten

There are 4 nodes that involve the making of the slope detection.

1). The vector curve node, leave the x and z curves alone, the y curve is what you want, move the top point over to another point on top, and move the bottom point, a middle point is fine as well. Use the normal output of a plain texture to plug into this node
2). The mapping node, leave this alone for now, we’ll get back to that, this is your second node.
3). The vector math node, it’s recommended you leave the second input with nothing inputing it, leaving it to add will be fine.
4). The math node, from the vector math node output you put an input into the math node, generally you keep the value at .50 and have add or multiply as the math function. (if one doesn’t work try the other)
5). Now put the output of those nodes into the factor input for the mix node for any two textures
6). But now you see it detects slopes the wrong way, go back to the mapping node and in the rotation boxes input 90 into the Y or Z boxes (If Y doesn’t work use Z)
7). For gaalgergely, you also need 3 material nodes, one for the plain texture and the other for the textures you’ll mix.
8). For a bumpier effect, you could make the plain texture have a bumpmap, it will disturb the normal value of the material and give you a much less linear effect.

I’m not entirely sure if I rotated by Y or Z or used add or multiply (hence the () above)

Hey Cyborg Dragon,

could you post a screenshot of your node setup for easier understanding? Would be great!

Greets!

Is any of that modeled? Or is it all displacement mapping?

The landscape is displaced, but note that the slope detection can and will work on any mesh.

I really need to learn nodes. This is almost as good as Terragen.

or Better…just depends on opinions and skill.

That Looks real nice, you should post a screen of the nodes.

looks great

Nodes ahoy, here they are. The image should explain it.
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/kansas15/Nodes_screen.png