The Midnight Sky: Aether Cinematic shots

Some cinematic renders of the Aether ship I helped production designer Jim Bissell design and build. While on set, I barely touched Photoshop and kept the entire design process pretty much in Blender. Once I handed the Aether over to vfx, I decided to create these renders as I didn’t get a chance to photograph the model with some nice space lighting. To take this one step further, I (very quickly!) created a few animated cameras and rendered out a sequence of shots to show the ship in movement. The sequence took about a day to render in Blender Cycles which I then comped in After Effects. I’m glad I got some “closure” and took the time to render these stills for the archive. Hope you enjoy!

101 Likes

:+1:
Great work! You made the lighting look natural, but you were able to see the awesome details on the ship. Very hard to do, in a space setting.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! Superb renders, im in awe (;

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Wow Great work, I was actually thinking of the list of modifiers and how it could be done in blender when i saw the movie. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! Yup modifiers were used heavily for the ship, especially the more generative design elements. Al lot started with (roughly) remesh/decimate(Planar)/smooth/wireframe/bevel/subdivision/mirror. Often times I’ll apply everything before the wireframe and use the knife tool to manually edit the wireframe topology.

1 Like

This is super nice!

Nice touch with the astronauts on the hull to give a sense of scale.

1 Like

impressive with each viewing. Amazing work. Keep it up!
Congrats on top row!

1 Like

Amazing scene and model! Really like the lighting in this scene, feels real.

1 Like

Thanks dude, means a lot coming from you! You’re literally the reason I started using blender! Boxcutter lured me to the dark side…

1 Like

Very nice renders and modeling.

Great renders and model.
Was the final shot in the movie rendered in blender to ?

very great work!!!

1 Like

The Midnight Sky: Matt Kasmir & Chris Lawrence – Overall VFX Supervisors - The Art of VFX

There’s some talk about using the model in various (real time) ways, and rendering in Framestore’s own renderer.

But loved that ship in the movie! Awesome design and work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, That is truly amazing!
Nice job getting on featured!

1 Like

WoW!..lovely stuff good man! peace and gratitude for sharing! :slight_smile:

beautiful piece!

Need to check render and edit fps, your video is stuttering. Also scale is off, probably is smaller than a real one would be. But it’s a very cool scene. Congrats!