The new Cycles GPU 2.72 Benchmark

Making the tiles smaller can handicap the “big guns” because one aspect of their speed advantage comes from being able to move larger blocks of data through the card. They actually get faster with larger blocks (with caveats). Conversely large tiles handicaps smaller cards that might otherwise prove capable.

There is no one tile setting that would eliminate handicaps. For example, my rig has one card that is three times as fast as my two slower cards. The result is that my fastest results sometimes occur with non-integral divisions of the screen. That helps because the slower cards can finish on a smaller block at the end, thereby insuring that the slowest card doesn’t churn alone on a full size block while the fastest card sits idle.

Perhaps the benchmark should be rendering at a higher resolution then, such as 2560x1440 or even 4K (3840x2160)

That way even systems with multiple high end GPU’s will get to render large chunks, and not have 1 card doing nothing for half the benchmark.

Then just have the benchmark run twice? Once with 256x256 tiles, and once with either 480x540 (for 4K), or just 512x512

It’s great to see a Titan Z in the list. Interesting that one stock Z is roughly equal to 3 x Titan OCs and includes twice the memory. I figure three hydro versions would make for the ultimate Cycles rig.

Water cooling GPUs is definitely the way to go for long Cycles renders. My office would become a sauna without it.

We can blame the weird times on Tiles

Also the Titan Z only has 6 GB per GPU like the normal titan

The Titans Z models on the following page are showing 12GB each.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Titan Black

As LordOdin wrote : there are 2 GPUs on the Titan Z and they have each 6 GB of RAM (so 12 GB all in all).

Windows 8.1 64bit.

GTX Titan Black x4

1:15

Tiles: 256x256

CUDA 6.5.33
GPU 10.1.46 (343.02.01f01)
Blender 2.73 RC

OS X Yosemite
GTX 570
18:01.56

Win 7
GTX 970
10:35.72

Windows 8.1 64b
1x r9 290
360x405 : 05:52.82

no sky, no smoke…

when try to use my 2 r9 290
blender crash :slight_smile:

Ubuntu Linux 14.10
EVGA GTX 980 SC
Blender 2.73 RC
Time: 06:41.49
Tiles: 360x405

I’m still not satisfied with the kernel… These cards should perform better.:no:

GPU: 3 x GTX780 SC ACX
Time: 3:19.35

@LordOdin

Exactly :slight_smile:
Mine GTX Titan Z had a cost of 1360€ (with water block in seperate). I think it’s very worth it. Actually I think they cost like 1100€… With watercooling, you can overclock them, you can use only 2 slots, so, in theory, you can have 8 Titans in your computer (with 4 PCI-Slot), all overclocked (with a good PSU and electrecity bills also lol).
For curiosity, in idle my GTX Titan Z runs with 26ºC and in full-load (like +1hour) 46ºC :slight_smile:

Do remember though, from various sources that I’ve researched, that a Titan Z is a dual card, which means that you get 12gb of memory for video games display but when it comes to pure Vram you are still only getting 6gb of rendering power with only 30% increased performance of a Titan Black. Until a Titan Z is 30% more of the cost of a Titan Black, I don’t see how they’re worth it.

@Fikey

About memory you are absolutely right.
About the difference about performance between a Titan Black and a Titan Z, it’s almost 45%. Plus, depends where you buy it, but a Titan Z can cost only more 15% from a Titan Black. But where is a point: 2 Titan Black are better than one Titan Z, but the power consumption is higher too (500W vs. 375W). Not forgetting that you have 2 GPU in one PCI-slot, and that is very good:
3x Titan Black (750W max.)
2x Titan Z - 4 GPU - (750W max.) + better performance + more free space + cheaper solution

So a Titan Z for 1200€ (or less, like ~1000€ in Spain or Switzerland) is worth it in this moment. Is my opinion.

Hi

I’ve scoured these threads for mention of mobile gpu’s. I love the mobility of laptops so have been shopping about for a desktop replacement I can use for Blender, but the machines I’ve seen so far have an 840m or 850m, which don’t feature at all on these benchmarks, only a 870m I think it was with middle range speed.

So I’m wondering if I should rather throw money at a fast cpu laptop and have a dedicated desktop with maybe paired gpu’s for rendering?

Does anyone know how a 780m compares to its desktop equivalent? I understand they get dumbed down for mobiles but how much is lost?

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks…

EDIT

On that last point, on closer look at the most recent spreadsheet, it seems the 780m is roughly half the speed of its desktop cousin. I’ve also since established that the 8XXm series is the most recent mobile gpu range, with the 880m currently the fastest laptop gpu out there.

The problem I have with the Titan Z is that its a 3 slots card, meaning you cant put more then 2 in any system, which is a bit of a drag for me!

Dont forget 780s still exist which are pretty much the same speed as titans and half the price… they do take up much more space and make more noise but on a budget 780s are the way to go (6 GB version)

@GCarb
Only if you want a aircooling solution. With watercooling solution, like as mine, its a only 2 slot card. So you can put 3 or 4 Titan Z, in theory.

@LordOrdin
I understand. The major difference it’s maybe the cuda cores ratio (more in TitanZ). But it’s only valid if you want to use/buy only one Titan Z card. If you plan to have 2 or 3 Titan Z (which in the future will be more affordable) it’s very interesting solution with a very good rendering platform for 3-4years (?). Titan Z, at the moment and especially in the future, have the best ratio performance and power consumption in only one card with a good price. Before, with a price between 2000 and 3000, it was insane.
So, who can make/need such perfomance investment, it’s a very rational solution. It’s my opinion :slight_smile:

Hi all, sorry for disturb your discussion but here is the last entry for the 2.72 Cycles Benchmark.
Some of the last entries are with different Blender version and/or different tile setting and I cant add these to the list.
I am not sure if I start a new Benchmark for 2.73.
It make a lot of work to maintain the spreadsheet and I have not much time to keep on track.
We will see. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

I’ve done a bit more research with regards the performance difference between (non-overclocked) Titan Black and Titan Z. This is what I found although I’m not sure how reliable the facts/site is:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-vs-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-BLACK

It seems overall the Titan Black scores marginally better, but until a full in-depth testing is actually done, it’s not exactly conclusive.

EDIT: I guess I should learn to read properly. It seems the GPUboss site has done the benchark for video game performance only rather than GPU rendering. According to the comments, only one of the Titan z GPU was used for it as well.

I’ve re-done the bench with only one of my Tb GPUs selected and the time came over twice what the Titan z got. So unless I’m overlooking something, it doesn’t look as if you are actually limited to only 6gb with the Tz as much as others have said.

So disregard the above.