The oasis WIP

I’m working on this scene right now and I’m at a point were I’m feeling stuck. I’m not sure what I could do to improve the scene, other than improving the lighting and adding the final plant models and character. However I’m open to any thoughts you guys have.

I can only offer a few things that stand out to me. Maybe too nitpicky, but I hope some help.

1. The model you used for the tiger skeleton (or whatever it is) - was this scanned? In any case, you can see where the ribs were wired together. Is this intentional? Likewise the ribs just sort of intersect with the rocks (also, texture is noticably tiled on rocks, and very flat). Ribs themselves I think need some scaling of texture as it looks weird to me. What about adding remains of mummified flesh? Or dirt in crevices? (e.g. AO).

This is a real nitpick, but I was a zoologist - without anything to connect the bones together, they would not stay as a skeleton. When you find animal carcasses in the wild, they are either held together with remnants of flesh and muscle/fur, or they tend to fall to bits and disarticulate fairly quickly.

1. The oasis looks like a garden - wild spots are not as neat, will have detritus around (old dead bits of leaves, etc.). The banks around the water would be darker as they are wet. What is in the water? The water itself could do with more shader work, as it looks more like a sheet of plastic. Transparency is hard, but doable. There are good PBR water shaders around.

2. How did the character get there? Adding tracks might help “set” the person in the scene.

3. How are you lighting the scene? The shadows look off - the light is shining through the ribs yet the shadows do not seem to indicate this.

4. There are better photographers and artists than me - but one issue I see with the composition is that I’m not sure what the focus is. What object am I to look at first? My eye is normally drawn to the foramen at the base of the skull. Maybe not where you want viewers to look first!

1 Like

Good pointers every one of them! Yes the tiger is scanned, I was removing the wires that were holding the ribs together but decided not to put too much effort as I was probably going to start over. Thanks for the help!