The Old General Store. A Painterly WIP

This has annoyed me for far too long now.

Whenever I’m working with volumetrics in Eevee, I always get these little floating orbs where the light source is located. Is there any way I can get rid of them?

LightBlurb

2 Likes

New grass style! I was tired of the old particle based one not catching the light how I wanted, so I ended up making a bunch by hand, and used those fancy new geo nodes to scatter them around my mesh.

But then I had to deal with the problem of the grass looking too realistic. That was quickly solved by making the grass fat.

Fat grass is now my signature style. I will use fat grass every chance I get.

Here’s the fat grass in action. As you can see, the grass is fat.

5 Likes

The halftone effect is BRILLIANT!!!

Dude!! A brief tutorial, pls!!! :blush:

It’s really simple stuff. I was initially using Paul Caggegi’s manga shader set exclusively, though I’ve since switched to using a more standard PBR setup, only keeping the halftone effect, which I slap between the diffuse, and the principled shader. The rest of it is the usual fare, though I don’t use roughness maps, since it distracts from the comic book-ish effect I’m going for.

This thread is fantastic! Nice work! I enjoyed all your posts! So funny! XD

2 Likes

Well, I’ve finished the old general store, and have since started on a new scene. That’s no reason to let this thread wither though. Might as well use it as a general WIP thread, and also cuz I love hearing myself talk.

I’m still going for the same style, but I wanted to address some of the things I thought was lacking in my last attempt, primarily that my trees still looked rough, and lost a lot of their appeal up close.

So I set to work making better trees. After a couple of days of hard, concentrated work (aka randomly goofing around with nodes and stuff until I get something that looks halfway decent), I’ve finally done it.

My Generation 2 trees. I call them…

: dramatic pause:

…Fluffy Trees.

They’ll pair well with the fat grass, I bet.

9 Likes

This is a great scene. Keep working on it. Maybe try to show all the latest features of Eevee (I’m pretty sure you were tracking them). Keep polishing it.

I think you could make SPLASH. This would be great for the splash for one of the upcoming versions.

1 Like

I don’t think I’m quite splash screen good yet, but hey, I do appreciate the vote of confidence.

The only way we get there is by getting there.

1 Like

A word of advice to anyone who might happen across this post.

If you’re going to array a bunch of objects, then goof around with them aftewards, make sure you add your UV seams beforehand, otherwise you’ll have to go through all your objects, and seam them all individually, which is a giant pain in the ass.

…so why didn’t I just delete the clones, and redo the array with a UVed original? Cuz I did a lot of post array adjustments, and it would have been at least as much work as it would have been seaming all the objects.

Just…just do it, okay?

1 Like

Coming Soon…

I did all the texturing in Blender this go-round, to see if I could do it. It’s a lot more fiddly compared to Painter, but I do like the instant feedback.

4 Likes

Testing out composition, which is something I’m not too terribly good at yet. Grass and ground foliage is coming next.

3 Likes

Grass Painting begins.

I kinda feel sorry for this poor old plain I’m stacking everything onto. It has one of the most complicated shaders imaginable on it, with 3 PBR textures blended together with 2 separate mask textures, and a whole bunch of scattered geometry. It makes me wonder how far I can push it before it breaks my computer.

3 Likes

That gas station/store has a lot of character.

Very nice work!

1 Like

Great result. Lovely this style. So cozy

1 Like

Are those ghibili bushes in the background?

Yup. It was all Ghibli style.

2 Likes

Is that an illicit moonshine still?

Train tracks are great and lead you through the comp nicely…

2 Likes

You know it. It pumps the fumes into the building so the fuzz don’t get wise to the operation.

3 Likes