The old tower: my first environment project

On Monday I will reach 100 days of learning Blender. This project was my 100th day goal and I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out.

I want to add a hiker looking on at the collapsed tower but I’m going to have to wait till I get a new PC for that!

This is my first proper environment piece (I have done some little projects for learning purposes but that’s all). I’d love your feedback and critiques - I am a latecomer to Blender and I want the harsh truth to make up for lost time!

Here’s a look at the clay render (I used Botaniq for the grass and trees. In the future I will have to figure out something else for more Australian looking plants though, I think!).

And here’s the original tower model, AKA Canberra’s Telstra tower. I also modelled its interior revolving restaurant because I knew I wanted to expose some of the building’s interior. For time I couldn’t put the detail into it that I would have liked but if you look closely you can see a few dining chairs buried in the grass in the pics above :wink:

I’ve absolutely loved learning Blender and I hope I will be able to start finding opportunities to do some paid work with it soon! If you want to see my 100 day progress I shared a video on my Instagram (yes, it all began with a donut): 100 Days of Learning Blender

Thanks for checking my post out and please follow me on Instagram @sisyartist. If you have thoughts on how I can best use my next 100 days I’d love your feedback :slight_smile:

35 Likes

This is incredible work after only 100 days! I’m closer to a thousand myself and this is better than anything I’ve done :slight_smile: nice work! I love your attention to detail here

Thank you so much, I’ve seen some of your amazing work so I have to politely disagree! haha. but I really appreciate hearing that :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

You might want to increase the light paths for transparent.

The maritime pine has many alpha masked planes after each other so you need to increase the light paths so more light can pass through its needles:)

Put a number like 30 in there that’s fine. Render will take a bit longer but you’ll get much better trees!

1 Like

Haha, 30 is a LOT to ask of my laptop but thank you, I didn’t realise that!

Lovely Jake!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like