the photorealism contest?

prizes or no,sounds like fun!

rixtr

Okie, only Blender, no external renderer. I’ll join anyways, of course!

I think we should have a SURrealism contest :smiley:

yes, of course… now, where did I put that melting wristwatch of mine… :wink:

Martin

Good idea! Photorealism’s fun - I’m in.

I vote for 100% blender.

owkee, surrealism sound nice to me,
but it would be nice if timothy could set up a new forum thingy for that (something like “contest”?) and that we do somehing like this every month?

yeah! thats a good idea dotblend. that way we dont have to go to that evil cgchat.com :smiley:

I would be glad to help out. sounds like fun, organizing contests (First contest: “Darts” :x )

Roel

one hu-undred and eeeeeeeeeeeighty

i’ve been freaking out with blender and virtallight the last couple of days and this is the result
http://www.dotblend.com/images/RING_WIP_8_B.jpg
check for more rings @ my homepage

I am glad that this is getting a lot of positive feedback. For those of you who are drolling over it and want to get a head start, here are the basic guidlines:

Topic = Indoor environements.

• This does not mean you can’t show views of the outside or use outdoor elements.

Time = approx 2 months.

• As it gets rolling (when I get a chance to set up an “official” web page), I will see what end date comes out.

Software = BLENDER

• You may NOT export to another rendering system.
  • Blender plugins are allowed for things like textures and post-process.
  • You may NOT post-process with GIMP.
  • NO image textures are allowed, only built-in proceduals or plugins. I will create an official list of allowed plugins when I get the chance. Post to this thread the name and web adress of any plugin you want to use and I will evaluate it and add it to the list.

Prizes = admiration of the community (still trying to figure out if I can get some free Blender stuff to give away as prizes)

That should get the ball rolling! Have FUN! :smiley:

How about all the texture plugins at http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/texture.html . That covers pretty much any texture plugin. I take it “no image textures” would inclued image textures made in blender. Any more specific guidelines that indoor environments? Would a picture of a single trinket inside work? or does it need to be a room? Either way it’ll be a very interesting competition.

Goo

i think image textures are required for any “photo realistic” work, i do understand the reasons, but i think taking from the irtc and their “inappropriate use of image maps” bit would be most useful. If used properly image textures can make a good scene great, it can just take ages to set up. (otherwise we’re gonna have to make labels, logos, dirt and everything with geometry/particles - arggggh!)

I’ll (obviously) go by the rules, but for the record, thats my opinion on the subject

Sorry. The “no image textures” stands. It levels the playing feild. Most of my work is done with only 1-3 image textures and then a lot of manipluation with plugins and proceduals, and I think that it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the link to the resources page. I was looking for that.

Here’s a link to a more general plugin page. It’s got all the texture plugins, sequence plugins, as well a python scripts and some explanations about the plugins.

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/

Goo

I won´t win, but why not?

besides, what exactly is a human furniture :o ?

something naughty?

HH

whatever you can think of…

i can remember a while ago in the i made this at the blendersite… there was a trend in making HUGE shiny dildos… some people use them as a part of there furniture… :o

Maybe it levels the field, but leaving images out makes it really hard. And I haven´t used any plugins yet. So what about pure blender without plugins? If you level the field, make it whole and painful. Same chances to everyone. Can I use nonpostprocessed blender made Images as a texture? I think of mirrors.

HH

please re read the previous post

ai, a new domain

ooops sorry

was awful late yesterday

There are some serious tests these days belonging to my education, so please don´t mind

just haven´t mastered the miracles and wonders of multiple page topics yet.

I’m gonna be really stubborn here. I agree with the fact that image textures used as actual images are wrong. it makes it too easy. but I think we should take into consideration the fact that the things that MAKE an image photorealistic are: Dust, Dirt, Bumps, scratches etc. those things are almost ALWAYS done with image textures. so holding a photorealism contest without using image textures is just plain dumb.
sorry.
A fair use policy would be the best I think. maybe only use of bumpmaps.
or only self made textures.
just my 50 eurocents…

Roel