the photorealism contest?

whats the closing date !!!

it has not even “officially” started yet! I don’t know what the closeing date will be

The basic rules where presented to allow motivated people a head start.

Hmmm… photorealism… Isn’t that why we have cameras?

yes, we have cameras for that. Sometimes you want to make something that you don’t have, that you can’t easily aquire, or that dosn’t exist. It may also be hard to photograph certain things, or it may make more sence to do a certain camera angle or effect with CG instead of trying to set it up with live action.

It would be great if we all had multi-million dollar studios to make our dreams come alive, but createing realistic CG is second best, and for certain things can be much cheaper even for the big studios.

One example is Jar-Jar. It was shot with a live-action actor which they were going to apply a CG head to. It turned out to be more economical to just CG the entire character instead of just the head.

If you havn’t guessed, I get kinda annoyed when people make comments like that!

I’d love to join. But I think that giving a sketch of the expected outcome (like with the flying machine contest way back when) would be better, easier to judge realism. my 2pence.
Adues,
WeWa

One example is Jar-Jar. It was shot with a live-action actor which they were going to apply a CG head to. It turned out to be more economical to just CG the entire character instead of just the head.

If you havn’t guessed, I get kinda annoyed when people make comments like that!

Oooh. Looks like I hit a nerve there. Actually, the comment was made tongue in cheeck ;). Whatever.

Oh ya, I think I would have chosen a better example than the most anoying character in the entire film (Jar-Jar). Lets hope he’s dead by the next episode!

Jar-Jar might have been annoying, but he is one of the most intersting visual effects in the film.

I tend to watch movies to oogle at the visual effects. If there happens to be a good story, it is an added bonus. This is why I don’t watch many movies :slight_smile:

Let’s get this on. So if I have read this right as long as we make the textures by hand it is premitted. No problem.