Thinkbox Deadline free for 10 nodes

Just a heads up. Amazon Thinkbox deadline is now free for up to 10 render nodes. (Used to be two)
This is perfect for anyone who has a few extra computers to render with.

4 Likes

Iā€™m assuming you still pay for the instances though, right? You just get a capacity of up to 10 without having to submit a request. Before I scaled up my farm I was able to render with 2 but I still paid for the infrastructure and instances.

Not sure what you mean by the Infrastructure and instances,

I just downloaded it installed it on my 7 computers and away you go.

Aha, so your rendering with all local computers. Neat!

I use AWS/Deadline to render in the cloud, which is why I was confused.

Right, I though that may be the case after I posted.
Not sure if they are offering a deal with that.

Amazon makes AWS Thinkbox software available free.

It is true ? :no_mouth:

Amazon Web Services (AWS) has made its AWS Thinkbox software products ā€“ Deadline, Draft, Krakatoa, Frost, XMesh, Sequoia and Stoke ā€“ available for free.

Anyone with a free AWS account can download the software, with 50,000 one-year licences available for each. Users of Deadline and Krakatoa can also obtain Usage-Based Licensing (UBL) render time for free.

Sounds real, keep in mind, that nearly everyone renders with cloud service these days, do to the heavy work involved for an own farm. Plus GPU rendering on a farm is a total different thing and involves special GPU cards (Titan etc). And then we have the speed improvement etc.
The main reason to render local is security. We not doing any high priority stuff, but clients often dislike the fact that we send their 3D data through the world wide web. Anyway, this comes with a heavy price. I did have an 8 machine farm 10 years ago. The billing for energy service was quite brutal and now prices went up in the EU. We speak from 1000ā‚¬ per year that went up to 8000ā‚¬ and more. The GPU cards are very energy hungry.
I mainly render in south Korea online, where they pay very little thanks to nuclear plants. You need to consider that.