Thinking of joining TurboSquid, but I want to know about your experiences first

I’ve been meaning to join TurboSquid so that I could possibly sell some of my models, however I want to hear about your first hand experiences, both good and bad, of the site before I commit. Would you recommend it? And if not, which sites would you recommend instead?

Dude just go for it. I’m on turbo squid but I only have 1 item on there and I’ve only sold it once. But there’s no reason to just let your unused models sit there on your hard drive when you could be making money off of them. And I wouldn’t worry about not using the best site. Turbosquid is definitely one of the most popular if not the most popular 3d sales sites out there.

So yeah, I don’t have a lot of experience with turbosquid but I think you have nothing to loose trying it out. Hope it works out for you :smiley:

I’ve been looking through other sites that allow you to sell 3D models, and I’ve found that TurboSquid’s royalty of 40% is pretty low compared to 60-70% that is offered by other sites, such as the 3D Studio, 3D Export, and Exchange 3D.

The main thing to consider is if what you have to sell is needed. Is there already a saturation of the models you are trying to sell? Having your models on several services would be a good idea IMHO. After that, try and supply something that fills a void yet needed if you can find that niche.

I am interested in this topic as there are times when I have been between jobs and the idea makes a lot of sense. As far as using Blender goes, isn’t there much less of a demand for Blender? All the high selling models I’ve seen are in 3DSMaX or Maya depending where you go. Would it be worthwhile forking out for those apps (even though I really like Blender) or is the Blender conversion good enough that the models would not get bad feedback?

if someone could post a c4d model of an invisible rigged male character who is also textured and can be modified to be an invisible woman… sure, why can’t you?

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/invisible-man-woman-c4d-free/173839

but i agree… paying 40% of revenue is a little stretching it.

You are better off creating your own site and selling models on your own…your problem then is advertising and publicity. This can be absolved through good old fashioned PR, visiting forums, and sending emails. I personnaly hate turbo squid, they are VERY greedy.

40% is reasonable given the huge potential audience you have. It would be great to sell direct from you own site but realistically the time and effort may not be worth it unless you have enough models that people are willing to search for specificaly. If you want to sell something you have to be where the buyers are.

I have 903 items for sale on Turbosquid, make 56% royalty and in a few months will make 58% (yes squid guild). This year (2010) alone I have sold more than $1475 worth, and my revenue has been $530.08. So, I’m tired of people banging on TS. It seems to be a very popular thing to do these days. People always bitch about squid guild. My thoughts: If you sell on more than 1 site, then you will make 40% on TS, But of course you are selling the same model on multiple sites, so in theory you’ll make more. Join Squidguild and you’ll make at least 50%, but you just can’t sell on other sites. TS is just trying to crush the competition, that’s all. I don’t personally have the time to publish each of my items on sites, so I joined squid guild.

Every once and a while a thread about TS pops up here, usually with the same negative comments. Yes there are screts to being a success on TS, and no, I’m not going to share. But they are pretty obvious (and can be figured out in 5 minutes looking at the site), so I’m not being a bastard.

OK, everyone dump on me.

Ok, that guy is kidding, but take a look at his Squid guild level - Diamond (to the right of the invisible man title, click on it to read about the levels). That means he’s sold more than $10,000 worth, and makes 60%, not 40%. I am Emerald level (soon to be Ruby), and make 56%.

What makes TurboSquid better then other sites that allow you to sell models? How is TS superior to, say, Exchange 3D?

Numbers of potential eyes looking at you models.
You need to review that releavant terms & conditions for each potential site to decide which one YOU are most happy with.

I’m glad you’re considering selling at TurboSquid. I’m Michele Bousquet, and I work at TurboSquid. I’ve also been a TurboSquid seller since 2001. My positive experience with TurboSquid is one of the reasons I decided to work there.

TurboSquid is the largest 3D marketplace anywhere, with more than 170,000 models for sale and 1.5 million members. Most of our top sellers went exclusive with us when we introduced the SquidGuild, our exclusivity program, last August. They tell me that it’s because they’ve always sold more at TurboSquid.

As much as I’d like you to decide to sell at TurboSquid, I invite you to look at all the sites closely before making a decision. Look for testimonials from sellers, and visit the site’s forums to see what people are talking about. At TurboSquid, you get access to the seller forums and keyword reports only after you’ve posted something for sale, so I encourage you to post at least one model to really get the tour. You don’t have to join the SquidGuild, you don’t even have to stay. Just check out all the sites thoroughly so you can really decide where you want to be. And feel free to contact us through Live Chat at any hour of the day or night if you have questions.

If you do decide to sell at TurboSquid, please drop me a support ticket and say hey. Just mention in the ticket that it’s for Michele, and I’ll get it. I wish the best of luck to you wherever you decide to go.

Michele
TurboSquid

I suppose I could join both TurboSquid AND some of the other sites, and raise the prices on on my TurboSquid stuff to make up for the lower royalties that they pay… assuming they wouldn’t kick me off for that.

You can set your prices any way you like at TurboSquid. What types of models are you planning on selling?

Michele
TurboSquid

Mostly vehicles, pehaps some character models. Also, I would like to know your policy towards copyright, I’ve noticed several models that might be guilty of infringement.