Thompson B1, Snowdrift

This is mostly an exploration of snow including piled snow, snow that has been cut by a plough and chunks of snow that have been dug out with a shovel.

Thumbnail

50 Likes

This is an alternative render with black livery. Not yet accurate with respect to the lining, but I’m trying to figure out which of the liveries (green or black) work best for the picture.

8 Likes

Here’s the object view.

3 Likes

Looks like that locomotive won’t be moving anytime soon … I don’t really think that the “paint job” made much difference. The modeling and presentation in both cases is very good – the snow is quite realistic.

1 Like

The whole render is nice, but the snow in particular is amazing. How did you do it?

2 Likes

Thanks @MartyDraws - there are a few key things with the snow. Primarily these are the use of micro displacements, the use of sub-surface scattering and coming up with a topology that represents a bit of a narrative. On the last point, figuring out a way to represent the ‘cut’ snow (and the blocks of icy snow in the foreground) was important. The grooves or channels in the side of the cut snow was done simply by using a wave texture and adding it to the displacement.

3 Likes

That’s really neat, I would not have thought to do it like that.

Thanks for sharing some of your process with me, and keep up the great work! :grinning:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Bart!

2 Likes

The snow you make is amazing. It makes my head explode (Although there’s a lot of noise, my advice would be to try using E-Cycle’s denoise, it will probably help you remove the noise a lot more). How you use displacement for the snow?

1 Like

This is amazing work. Well done!

1 Like

can you show the nodes set up for the snow
would like to redo it and study it if possible
may be a small file would be faster

nice work here

happy bl

1 Like

To be honest - I quite like keeping some of the noise. It exposes some of the process by which the image was created (like film grain or brush strokes).

1 Like