Tiles Texture

I updated the ZIP file with a linux version compiled with bmake. Its called wbricks.Linux.so.

Any one get a chance to play with the plugin? Iā€™d like to get some feedback about what you guys think about it and whether it needs improvement or changes? Do you need to look at source code as well?

1 Like

My main Blender platform is my Mac; I probably wonā€™t have a chance to try it out until thereā€™s a Mac version, or a source release. Or, if youā€™d like, you can send me a pre-release copy of the source and I can build a Mac version you can redistributeā€¦ send me a PM if youā€™re interested.

My main Blender platform is Windows (just wanted to let you know I havenā€™t forgotten about you).

sarah: Iā€™ve sent a PM with a link to the source. I would appreciate it if you can try to compile on the Mac platform.
PapaSmurf: Is the plugin compiled with MinGW/gcc good enough or do you need one compiled with lcc (Iā€™ve tried but couldnā€™t get lcc to work).

Looks very cool. Once youā€™re ready, you should give it to the developers of blender, so that they can include it in the next release.

Looks very cool. Once youā€™re ready, you should give it to the developers of blender, so that they can include it in the next release.

Quoted in agreement. This is the sort of texture I would find very useful. That said Iā€™ve never noticed plugin textures officially distributed with Blender which is a shame.

Keep up the good work, Wizard!

Koba

Thanks to Sarah we have a Mac version. I have updated the link in Post #1. Please note that it may not work on G5; if anyone has a way to compile the source for other platforms and would like to, send me a PM.

Currently, I am trying to implement CDā€™s idea about offsetting the height of individual bricks but I keep running into issues with setting it up in the [0, 1] range. I have slowed down a bit for now as Iā€™m a little busy with work but I will resume work in 2 - 3 days time.

I checked the Blender Plugin Repository and there is no contact info. Iā€™ll post on blender.org forums once work is complete to get it included. I started with a plugin as it is a simple API to adhere to. Wouldā€™ve been nice to implement it as a new texture in Blender itself; that way I could easily integrate turbulence functions that are already available in Blender (there is also a nice example in the Wiki somewhere on how to do this).

Very cute. And by default, magenta bricks with gray mortar - how sublime is that? Works under Vista! This MUST go in the 2.44 release! Iā€™ll volunteer to do the wiki. Please drop a line to Ton to let him know, and someone can add it to CVS for you , Iā€™m sure.

Once again, it is a commendable effort worth including in an official release. It would be a shame to leave it in a plugin repository - is this allowed/possible?

Koba

OK. Give me a couple of days as Iā€™ve been quite busy at work. Iā€™ve already gotten the source from CVS last night but for some reason it didnā€™t compile on Ubuntu. Iā€™ll try again tonight and see if I can integrate the code as a new ā€œBrickā€ texture.

Anyone know what the time-frame for next release is?

and see if I can integrate the code as a new ā€œBrickā€ texture

That would be awesome.

Koba

is it possible to add various colored tiles based on hue,saturation,value control-would be great for ceramic tiles.

I finally managed to get an account on blender.org forum. Will be posting there shortly to see what the devs think.

rusted: Anything is possible :slight_smile: I just have to figure out how. Do you mean each tile has a diiferent shade of a single colour value or do you want to just randomly assign colour to each tile?

Have you tried the ā€œceramictilesā€ plugin from the plugin repository?

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/texture.html

Quite frankly, there are a lot of cool plugins available, and Iā€™d like to see many of them become part of Blenderā€¦ however, there are apparently things holding them back:

1. Itā€™s not trivial to convert a plugin to a built-in texture; the built-in textures donā€™t really have an API of their own.

2. The plugin API itself is (I think) buggy due to not being thread-safe

3. The ā€œmodernā€ way to do everything is with nodes; this seems to be the way the developers want to go, but at the moment thereā€™s no plugin API for nodes.

Apologies if some of this isnā€™t quite correct; I went through all this when I released my first couple of plugins, and this is all off the top of my head with three hours of sleepā€¦ :frowning:

Despite all of the above, Iā€™d still kind of like to see some plugins distributed as part of a stock Blender distribution!

Sarah

First step in getting your plug-in into the blender source is making it Fields and OSA compatible.

It should be fairly simple to do. The buildins are available in a pop-up, and all the code should be cleanly in separate files ( I could check the cvs tree).

Once youā€™ve got your patch to work, you can submit your patch to the BF who then puts it in review.

I never saw any trouble with textures being a plug-in. Except maybe on the renderfarm.
What could help is a auto-plugin-dir-reader. Just get your plug-ins in a dir and let blender list them in the pop-up would help a lot more people then adding this one plug-in to the list.

When I looked at the Wiki for adding a procedural texture to Blender I was expecting to see a self contained texture object implementation. As it stands, the parameters for all procedural textures are added to one struct! There seems to be no clean way to initialize texture data that has to be precomputed (in the plugin I use a flag which is checked everytime the plugin is called).

Hi !
I have juste discovered and tested your plugin under Windows. Thanks a lot, it is a very usefull one !
Changing a value and coming back to the previous one seems not always give the same result, but it is a good plugin !

email me a copy of the source and Iā€™ll get it up on
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins at least.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Kent

The random number generator may not be initialized properly. Can you tell me which value is exhibiting this problem?